PDA

View Full Version : Dash Lights - Heater Controls

David8831
29-11-2007, 07:56 PM
I've recently picked up a 1990 Mk2, got a few issues to sort out. One of these issues is the lack of light behind the heater controls at night. Surely there should be some light here? If anyone can "shed some light on this" for me, I would be very grateful - yes, it was a deliberate pun, sorry but couldn't resist.

Cheers David

blaconbomber
05-12-2007, 12:14 AM
alright mate ive got the same motor and ive had it a while and ive sorted out most of the issues but i have the same problem with my heater unit that i just havent bothered to look at its gonna be a bulb or a wiring issue surely? youve set me off now im gonna look at mine next day off and ill let you know if i sort it.

David8831
08-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I look forward to hearing what you find. In the meantime, I'll have a go myself once I sort out a few other issues.

Boardboy
13-12-2007, 04:01 PM
I had the same problem with my MKII. The bad news is the bulb is moulded in to the heater controls. There are two connections on the back one for the fan speed the other for the light.
Depending how handy you are you can take the control apart .The light is refracted on clear perpex under the front. I very carefully removed the bulb and put a 12v led in it's place, I have to admit it wasn't easy.

Good luck

Boardboy

montstar
15-12-2007, 09:16 PM
Depending how handy you are you can take the control apart .The light is refracted on clear perpex under the front. I very carefully removed the bulb and put a 12v led in it's place, I have to admit it wasn't easy.

I'm about to do just that- i've taken the heater control apart (with a couple of clips sacrificed!) But, I'm just gonna ask before I go ahead- how did you tackle the bulb removal? It seems pretty snug in there?

Boardboy
18-12-2007, 02:26 AM
The bulb is molded in to place. I broke the bulb and using a drill (very slowly and carefully) drilled the remains out ( from the opposite side to which the plug fits) Taking care not to drill all the way through. I pulled the two terminals that the plug fits on out with long nose pliers. You can solder these back on to the led connections. You have got to make sure you connect the led terminals up correctly or it won't illuminate. Once you have checked its wired correctly use a little bit of rapid araldite glue to hold it in place. Don't cover it or it'll effect the level of illumination.
Good Luck, it's fiddly but satisfisfying when you get it to work!

Boardboy