PDA

View Full Version : 1996 TDI Intermittent Starting Problems

mdcooper
29-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi, my dad has a 1996 1.9 tdi (90) , and we have had the car about 3 years, and we have had no problems at all, it only does about 4 miles a day, 5 days a week, no more.

My dad goes to work at about 3 o clock in the morning, and it started not starting properly one morning, but eventually it went, so he didnt think anymore of it, and gave it a good run, thinking that he hasnt bin using it enough to charge the battery.

It kept doing it, and because my dad needs it to be reliable for work, he has just had it services and replaced the battery at the same time, to rule that out.

Went to start it the next morning, and it wouldnt start, so my dad used my car and went to work, when he got home it still wouldnt start, which is unusual because it normally goes at some point.

Its really wierd because sometimes if you just leave it for 10 minutes, it will fly over!, so its really annoying because you never know when its going to happen, it just goes, rur rur rur!

Any ideas?!

Thanks

Matthew

Alun
29-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Glow plugs? Alternator?

mdcooper
29-11-2007, 10:18 PM
Glow plugs? Alternator?

Well, the glow plug light goes out normally, but i dont know what it would do if they werent working.

Our mechanic suggests that it maybe the starter motor/alternator, but the problem is we cant get it started to get it over there.

we are going to try using jump leads tomorrow, and see what happens.

cant see what else it can be!

Thanks

Matthew