PDA

View Full Version : 1997 jetta gl motor problem

menard_07
29-11-2007, 05:58 PM
i i have a 1997 jetta gl diesel and the motor just stop when i was driving my locol garage told me its to much trouble finding the probleme plz help me

Captain Answer
30-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Can you give us a little more detail? Did it cut out just once? Will it restart? Whats the general condition of the car and motor? Diesels only tend to cut out if theres a fuel starvation for some reason

menard_07
03-12-2007, 02:54 AM
the car dont start. its in good condition a lot of millage but i never had probleme whit it exept the guy at the gaz station made a mistake and he put some gaz instead of diesel but the motor was purge and clean up. my friend told me maybe its a timing belt problem

hagis
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
So the starter motor does turn then? If so, can you hear it trying to catch?

Captain Answer
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
In fairness it doesn't sound like you know a lot about cars so even if we do hit the problem what are you going to do with that information? I'd doubt it was the timing if it was running and cut out. A bit of petrol in an older diesel car shouldn't give any problems.

Things to check go from the basics, charge in the battery, does the starter motor turn the engine over, is fuel getting to the injectors (if not why, filter blocked or air locked usually) are the glow plugs working, is your timing correct, is the alternator working correctly. Other than those your getting into more complex issues like electrical faults, blocked injectors, nil compression.

If one garage won't help you, go to another