PDA

View Full Version : Noisy power steering

melluish
29-11-2007, 03:25 PM
Car is 1996 TDi, 156,000 miles.

Noise is not a squeak or groan, as other people have asked about, more an air blower type noise. It varies as I move the wheel, and gets less but does not go away after a few miles. Steering works fine, and the fluid level is near max.

I have just had the clutch replace by Mr Clutch under warranty. I drove home, parked for about two hours, then noticed the noise when I started the car.

Can replacing the clutch have affected the power steering?

m6dtt
16-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Audi A4 2.0TDI 2007:
Last week Audi replaced the steering rack for the 5th time and GUESS WHAT???? No more steering groan.

I took deliver of the car in June 2007. Since July 2007 and July 2008 the car had 5 steering rack changes for a groaning steering wheel and after a lot of visits to the Audi workshops, lot of aggravation and wasted time, various courtsey cars and most of all a COMPLETE LACK OF ACKNOWLEDGEMENT by Audi that there was a fault ... it is now fixed.

Audi changed the rack 5 times for the same groan, each time they refused to say there was a fault with the components ... always said they were being told by high up Audi management that a new MODIFIED rack had to be installed.

I will never buy Audi again because this whole thing could have been easily solved ... they should have offered a replacement FULLSTOP.

Frankly I have been appalled by Audi.

If you got a groan on a 2007 2.0TDI then go to Audi Wayside Milton Keynes and ask them what part number steering rack was installed and check if they can give it to you too!! My car reg is MT07 PBX (ask for Emma Inskip).

Good luck!