PDA

View Full Version : A4 1.8 20V eratic rpm

gazd
29-11-2007, 02:52 PM
This morning my A4 1.8 20V started, but then cut-out just like cars do when the choke isn't working. I set off and drove it using a few more revs than normal so that it didn't cut out at junctions etc.

When the car was warm, I noticed that the engine revs were eratic. When I stopped at a junction the engine idling revs were fluctuating between 1200 - 2500 rpm, going up and down every 2 or 3 seconds.

I did notice that the temperature gauge wasn't working. Would a faulty temperature gauge cause the cutting-out issue when cold and the eratic revs once warm, or, could anybody suggest another reason for the eratic revs.

Cheers :1zhelp:

a4cam
12-12-2007, 09:15 PM
The erratic rpm seems to be a common problem with the 1.8 20v audi's . I'm totally new to this audi game , and have owned my one for abit over a week , and have fixed both of the problems you are having , temp one is easy , themostat , £6 part from halfords , and a 20 min job , you will replace you antifreezer at the same time . The idle is just as easy , the engine breather , handley breathes staight into the throttle body , over time it gums up the throttle and idle up valve with crap , brake cleaner and a rag seemed to fix that for me . Hope its as simple for you !

paul b
13-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Yes, the temperture sensor could be the cause of all the problems.
Paul

mluton
13-12-2007, 12:08 AM
A cold 1.8 T is a pain, esspecially with the weather we are having.

I start mine and let it run for a minute or so.

gazd
18-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the tips. I'll give both of them a go and see where I get to. Many Thanks