PDA

View Full Version : esp and abs

shadyzzz
17-09-2006, 05:14 PM
ok lads and lasses new to the site and hope i can get a bit info.

i just got a audi tt on a 2000 plate yesterday !!

on the test drive the esp light and the abs light were off
when i got it home took it for a bit of a blast when i reach 70 mph ish both lights come on they are not flashing just a steady light.
and they dont go off till i turn the key off and start up again.
but if i welly it agai they both come on.............?????

anybody help !! also the turn signal sometimes will not flash !!
also a bit of a nightmare

but any help i can get before it starts to cost me money

also is it ok to drive with both lights on.

cheers shadyzzz.

nickasaki
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
You need to get somebody to fault code read it , if you know somebody with VAG COM the should be able to do this for you . If you live near to Staffordshire then i could do this for free...I hope this is of help to you :biglaugh:

nickasaki
05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh i forgot to say that if the lights are on the the ESP and ABS will not be working so drive accordingly

adamss24
05-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Oh i forgot to say that if the lights are on the the ESP and ABS will not be working so drive accordingly
Hi, everytime you turn engine on the ABS does a self check and one may hear some odd pulsing/humming from the pump. If the light doesnt estinguish itself after a couple of seconds then there is something wrong and car behave/brakes like a car with no ABS. If it does then the sistem is ok. ESP works in conjunction with the ABS and monitors the wheels and if the ESP its faulty the ABS still works but without ESP ! What i believe it happens is one of the wheel ABS sensors its out of spec/coroded/not plugged properly and the controlor doesnt know if the wheel locks or not thus turning off the ESP/ABS! Scan the controller for codes and also look for tell tale signs under the car, like if the car had a recent service(brakes/wishbones) maybe they forgot to plug one of the sensors properly or the sensor itself is damaged. ESP monitors the car speed up to about 80Km/h if i am not mistaken, also check if the tires are the same all round. If they different they may trigger the ABS/ESP because they have different rolling masses and the car is -i believe- quattro. Also the steering wheel sensor may be out of sync with the ECU and its trying to corect the direction trough ESP/ABS. Have a look on www.rosstech.com for the exact procedure for your car to syncronise the steering wheel but you will need a fully registered Vag com interface for doing that. Hope this helps. Regards, Johann.

obi_wan
29-10-2006, 03:03 PM
hi, does your car jerk between gears when u accelerate? i had the same problem on my tt. the esp light comes on and stays on until you turn the ignition off and on again, i was told it was the mass air flow meter. the light never came on after changing the maf meter and it runs so smooth.