PDA

View Full Version : Second gear crunch 1.9 TDi S

superstevie
29-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi guys,

I have an 07 Passat 1.9TDi S Estate that i use for work. Ive been noticing recently that if ive been doing a lot of town driving, by the end of the day, my second gear crunches unless i let the revs die right down before changing. When this happens i generally try to go from first to third instead.

Is this a common fault? Im going to book the car into the garage soon.

Cheers

VwAdy
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Yes this is a common problem but only on the 1.9 tdi S..had same problem with my 1.9 especially reving over 3000rpm..
took it VW to comfirm fault..they ordered a second gear hub which was on back order:zx11:

3 wks later car booked in for three days..and then given a 170 bhp touran..so :banned: quick..:D..
gets a phone call nx day that car is ready and new gearbox fitted:D.told was cost effective to replace than repair...

And unfortunatly had to hand back this super quick touran..:( gutted..

cyborg
10-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Hi guys ....this is my first post...off many. From South Africa.
Just bought a 2006 passat 2.0 FSI 2 weeks ago....Second gear fault was picked up on the 2 nd day. You are right as it only occurs when the gearbox is warmed up a bit....long distance or hard driving.
1st to second gear hard...even grinds gears...and then from 3rd to 4th its also hard...no grinding. If you drive slow...and let bthe revs drop its okay but not as going to 2nd to 3rd.
Went in Thursday for a new clutch kit as they say its not releasing the pressure plate enough....so will pick up today...wrong parts were delivered on friday.

Also waited to see a responce to my central locking. All doors are locked...from the outside, but 1 pull of the inside door handle and the door swings open...no 2 nd pull required....manual says pull twice....mines is pull once. Dealer says all PASSATS you pull once....i think its a flaw. Check your cars.

cyborg
10-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Hi Guys...update THE 2.0 FSI has a Factory fault....Was at the Dealer today and another Jetta 2.0 FSI was booked in for exact same fault. The syncro hub apparently. So they might swap my gearbox aswell....lets see

superstevie
16-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Excellent thanks for that info! will get the car booked in to garage this week if i get the time

mountaintiger
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Hi guys,

I have an 07 Passat 1.9TDi S Estate that i use for work. Ive been noticing recently that if ive been doing a lot of town driving, by the end of the day, my second gear crunches unless i let the revs die right down before changing. When this happens i generally try to go from first to third instead.

Is this a common fault? Im going to book the car into the garage soon.

Cheers

Just for info I have the same problem. It seems to ease a bit if my foot forces the clutch to the floor, but if I do this any harder its going to end up with my feet through the floor like the Flintstones. Ive just started to move from 1st to third gear wherever possible to ease this.

Can I ask if the garage covered it under warranty. I have a lease car so am unsure if Im going to be left with a big bill for it. Ive not seen any warranty documents.

Quatrelle
12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi guys ....this is my first post...off many. From South Africa.

Also waited to see a responce to my central locking. All doors are locked...from the outside, but 1 pull of the inside door handle and the door swings open...no 2 nd pull required....manual says pull twice....mines is pull once. Dealer says all PASSATS you pull once....i think its a flaw. Check your cars.Hi Cyborg - your first post? ;)

Central locking - have a reread of your earlier question on http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=21501&highlight=door+pull

Don't forget to let us know what your dealer says about the locks.

John

paul.f
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I know on a golf tdi that i had this exact problem was sorted by replacing the gearbox oil but make sure you use the genuine stuff.

Robbycroft
15-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi Guys, I have a '99 T reg deisel A3, the gears crunch going from first to second and also clunk when going into reverse, this i can deal with. I can't deal with not being able to select fifth gear. The lever goes where it should but there is no fifth gear. Whats gone wrong here guys? My mates dad said he had the same problem on his Passat and a guy fixed it on the side of the road. Apparently there was a loose plate which needed screwing back down. Any ideas what this plate is? I will ask him for more detail and have a look myself, but any info would be great.

I hope i don't need a new box!

Cheers Rob

superstevie
20-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Well i eventually got the car into the garage a month or so ago (for its second service) and they couldnt find any faults. To be fair, it has stopped doing it as much and as its not my car im not too fussed. If it happens again then it'll go back in.

mountaintiger
20-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Well i eventually got the car into the garage a month or so ago (for its second service) and they couldnt find any faults. To be fair, it has stopped doing it as much and as its not my car im not too fussed. If it happens again then it'll go back in.

I took my car in for a service and mentioned the gear crunch problem showing them the forum reports. They booked car in and gave it a tpl number and fixed the problem under the cars 30k mileage warranty. They said it was a low oil problem and is now fixed (for free).

gizmoy2k
15-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Hi
I have recently purchased a 56 passat and came accross this problem today, Does anyone have more info on this problem? Is it confirmed as a simple oil change or could it still be more serious?
I bought from a local independant dealer so i am going to take it to the local VW dealer and ask about service/warranty etc

mountaintiger
15-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi
I have recently purchased a 56 passat and came accross this problem today, Does anyone have more info on this problem? Is it confirmed as a simple oil change or could it still be more serious?
I bought from a local independant dealer so i am going to take it to the local VW dealer and ask about service/warranty etc

Hi Gizmoy
just to say that ive not had the problem reappear. They said it was the oil problem, but whether it was anything else as well I just cant tell you. Printing out what was on the forum and taking it with me gave me confidence that it wasnt something I had done. It must also be an issue they know about on the basis that they gave me a tpl number and fixed it for free.

gizmoy2k
20-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi
I took my car to the dealer this week and had to go for a drive with the mechanic who witnessed the problem, when i returned to the garage they checked my vehichle details and straight away the chassis number was flagged up as requiring a gearbox oil change as a first step to a solution for this issue!

Oil change has solved the problem, not even a hint of a crunch in the past 2 days, Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Andy

dazzer07
27-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi
I took my car to the dealer this week and had to go for a drive with the mechanic who witnessed the problem, when i returned to the garage they checked my vehichle details and straight away the chassis number was flagged up as requiring a gearbox oil change as a first step to a solution for this issue!

Oil change has solved the problem, not even a hint of a crunch in the past 2 days, Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Andy
im having the same problem is your car still ok

dazzer07
27-01-2009, 04:43 PM
dealer just got back to me saying they changed the oil to no effect so they are stripping the gear box down what does this involve:aargh4::mad::zx11:

martin1810
27-01-2009, 04:50 PM
It's a fairly common fault. The synchro ring on second gear snaps. This means the 1st to 2nd gear cogs are not aligned properly at the time of gear change. You get a crunch as you push onto the 2nd gear cog. It's a simple fix if you know how to take off the gearbox and strip it down. If caught early the gears are not damaged and all you do is change a cheap brass synchro ring. All the cost is the labour to do the job. Can happen to any gear.

dazzer07
27-01-2009, 05:34 PM
It's a fairly common fault. The synchro ring on second gear snaps. This means the 1st to 2nd gear cogs are not aligned properly at the time of gear change. You get a crunch as you push onto the 2nd gear cog. It's a simple fix if you know how to take off the gearbox and strip it down. If caught early the gears are not damaged and all you do is change a cheap brass synchro ring. All the cost is the labour to do the job. Can happen to any gear.
thank god it's under warranty thanks for the reply:approve:

dazzer07
27-01-2009, 05:38 PM
there also changeing the fuel pump whats going on begining to wonder should i have bought this vw passat:confused:

Spudrig
27-01-2009, 08:01 PM
there also changeing the fuel pump whats going on begining to wonder should i have bought this vw passat:confused:
Dazzer all Passats were recalled by VW to change the fuel pumps as some were failing, so they are taking the precaution to change them all

dazzer07
27-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Dazzer all Passats were recalled by VW to change the fuel pumps as some were failing, so they are taking the precaution to change them all
only had the car three weeks just thanks for reply my mind can rest :beerchug:

Spudrig
28-01-2009, 05:07 PM
only had the car three weeks just thanks for reply my mind can rest :beerchug:
No problem, the new fuel pump should give you more peace of mind too :p

dazzer07
28-01-2009, 05:31 PM
No problem, the new fuel pump should give you more peace of mind too :p
vw now changeing the complete gearbox:beerchug:

Spudrig
28-01-2009, 05:38 PM
vw now changeing the complete gearbox:beerchug:

That will hopefull give you even more reassurance, knowing that you have a completely new gearbox :p

martin1810
28-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm surprised they are fitting a new gearbox. They used to do this but I thought current policy was to repair yours. Either way you are sorted.