PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

davy c
29-11-2007, 02:08 PM
I have a MK3 GTI Golf and went on holiday recently. I have'nt started it in around 1 month and as a result it will not start up now. It is not the battery as the ignition is still going on and I can hear the starter motor clicking.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem? If so how could I go about fixing it?

Crasher
29-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the forum. If the starter is clicking you probably have a flat battery. DO NOT jump start it, disconnect the battery earth lead and charge the battery and then try to start it.

davy c
29-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I don't think it's the battery as the ignition is still switching on and I can still listen to the radio. I can hear the starter motor click as if there is no petrol in the car but there is.

adamss24
29-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Charge the battery !!!! There is not enough voltage to turn/engage the starter so the solenoid is clicking. If you think you know better, why you ask !?!

davy c
29-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I also have a problem with the gear change. It is sometimes difficult to enguage first gear I have to really force the gearstick into first, somtimes it won't even go into first.

It changed gaer perfectly untill I recently changed the steering rack and had difficulty in reconnecting the gear selector and had to take it to a garage so that they could sort it out for me.

Do you think that is the cause of the problem or has the sincro worn out?

If it is the sincro would I have to get a new gearbox? If so how much should it cost to get a reconditioned one and have it fitted by a garage?

These probably seem like silly questions but I don't know much about technical issues.

dubtastic
29-11-2007, 09:19 PM
agreed with the battery advice...needs a good charge, it will have enough power to send to your lil bulbs in your dash and pump but trying to start your big engine it wont have any puff so give it some charge...

as for the gears I have no info hopefully you will get it sorted through this forum or in the near future..good luck!

davy c
29-11-2007, 09:28 PM
cheers mate