PDA

View Full Version : Tapping noise from behind the dash

imc
29-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I've just taken my 2.0TDi sport back to the dealer today to see if he can find the cause of a tapping noise which seems to be coming from behind the dash board in the centre towards the back of the radio area. The noise seems to come and go. The mechanic heard the problem when I first took the car in but has since not been able to reproduce it. They have had the car in overnight and have taken the dash off to see if they can find where the problem originates. The mechanic reckons it might be the motorised vents. Has anyone else had any similar problems ?

Regards

imc

superstevie
29-11-2007, 02:07 PM
Does it sound like a hard disk drive thats gone faulty? Cause mine does that. Its normally when im sittin in the car with the ignition on, but not the engine

imc
29-11-2007, 02:11 PM
It does sound a little like this. Its at a constant frequency. Any idea of the cause?

Regards
imc

superstevie
29-11-2007, 02:14 PM
None, i thought it was a charatoristic of the car. If its a problem, will get them to check it when i get my second gear crunch checked out

tommyweaves
30-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I've had a tapping rattle on mine which seems to only happen when cruising up the motorway. It's quiet but somehow very irritating! The first time I had it looked at they found the clutch pipe was rattling underneath the battery box, which they attended to, but it has since come back. They've now replaced the handbook shelf unit which seems to have done the trick. Apparently they've done that with a few cars now.

Hope this helps.

tommyweaves
30-11-2007, 01:07 PM
None, i thought it was a charatoristic of the car. If its a problem, will get them to check it when i get my second gear crunch checked out
I may be stating the obvious superstevie but I'd be looking at the CD unit for your noise. My car makes that noise when you switch the ignition on and there's no CD in the stereo. I almost always have a CD in but one day I heard this noise after I'd put the key in the ignition but before I started the engine. I couldn't work out what it was and then realised it was my stereo looking for a CD which wasn't there. Hope this makes sense!

superstevie
30-11-2007, 01:57 PM
it does yeah but im like you i always have a CD in the stereo. I noticed its a noisy unit when its playing a CD. Wil have a play when i go back to work a couple of weeks

forge197
30-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Mine has a tapping sound to the right between the radio and steering wheel, i've concluded it's the flaps for the HVAC as it only happens when it's cold not noticed it when warm, can't decided whether to worry about more worring is that my sunglass holder wont open!! Will get them to look at that when it's due a service.