PDA

View Full Version : Golf-Jetta-Vento-Bora engines and size

Snowdance38
17-09-2006, 05:00 PM
VW seems to put a lot of different engines in these cars.. What engine you have seems to depend on were you live and how the engines are taxed or not..

We are in Northern California, USA.. It is high country with few people and we have deer living in our yard.. Nothing like most people think.. We are 650 miles north of the LA area whitch is what most people think California is like.. I was there once.. Did not like the place..

We have a 2002 Jetta/Bora Wagon with a 4 cyl 2.0 liter non turbo engine.. The common engines for this Jetta here in the US were the 1.7 turbo, 1.8 turbo , 2,0 non turbo VR6 and TDI..

We have a 2006 Jetta Special edition with the 2.5 liter 150 hp non turbo.. This engine does not seem to show up as the standard engine except in North America as far as I can find out.. Its a 20 valve chain driven twin cam, With the head copied from the Lamborghini Gallardo V10. The other common engines for the 2006 Jetta are the 2.0 turbo and TDI.

Both of our cars are stanard shift because we pull camping trailers and also non turbo as we live in a part of the country where there are few fuel stops and when there is one it sells reg grade and diesel only.. There are just two pumps.. Nothing else and there is no one there.. You just put in your credit card and pump the fuel..

So were are you and what engine do you have??

stuart
17-09-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I drive a 2006 Seat Leon 2.0 Turbo 185 HP.... nice car, just replaced my old Seat Leon which was tuned to 215 HP.... UK Based :)

Sounds like you do not like the "town life" then :) I moved to a small country village from a busy town about 6 years ago... love the relaxed life now, and hate towns..

Stuart

Snowdance38
18-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Hi,

I drive a 2006 Seat Leon 2.0 Turbo 185 HP.... nice car, just replaced my old Seat Leon which was tuned to 215 HP.... UK Based :)

Sounds like you do not like the "town life" then :) I moved to a small country village from a busy town about 6 years ago... love the relaxed life now, and hate towns..

Stuart
I have no idea what a Seat Leon is..

also intresting that the 2.0 turbo here is 200 hp.. Runs on Premium fuel only.. Yours is 185 HP..Are we talking about different hp?? Or is it detuned for regular fuel only???

I was born in the country.. Worked in the city.. Had to wear a suit and tie.. Had to be nice.. Said only things I should.. Was good at it but was not happy at it.. Came back to the country as soon as I could.. This is were I belong.. Always happy here.. Get to look at the snow on the Mts. every day.. Say what I think and do the things I like..

stuart
18-09-2006, 06:51 AM
I have one of these

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/newLeon/site/main.html

Seat are owned by Volkswagen, so most parts incl engines are from there cars. The 185 HP is a detuned version of the 200 HP engine, which Seat use in the Leon "FR". There will be a new model soon called the "Cupra" which I belive is 240 HP, but all the same engine.

Stuart

Snowdance38
18-09-2006, 01:25 PM
That is nice looking.. If VW sold some thing like that here I think I would own it.. Also saw it would tow a fair sized trailer.. But unless it ran on low test gas it would not work out for me..

The only good thing about the 2.5 engine we have in our new Jetta is that we can use low test gas and it does pull a fair size trailer..

Alun
24-09-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi there,

Don't know if this helps but I live in the UK. I have a 1994 MK3 Volkswagen Golf with a 1.9 TD engine. The engine code is AAZ and it produces a whopping 75bhp and something like 114 pounds foot of tourque.

adamss24
09-10-2006, 09:45 PM
You call 75 Bhp whooping ?!!! We have a 98 a4 quattro 2.5 tdi 6 speed putting 180 Bhp/ 380 Nm torque. Thats a road sleeper and humiliate many petrol cars so called sport!By the way, where you from Alun ? ARE YOU ROMANIAN. TETRAILES BAFTALOO PRALEO !

Alun
09-10-2006, 11:41 PM
You call 75 Bhp whooping ?!!! We have a 98 a4 quattro 2.5 tdi 6 speed putting 180 Bhp/ 380 Nm torque. Thats a road sleeper and humiliate many petrol cars so called sport!By the way, where you from Alun ? ARE YOU ROMANIAN. TETRAILES BAFTALOO PRALEO !

Err no. I'm from the North West of England. There is such a thing as sarcasm! I was taking the mickey at 75bhp, I know it's patheticly slow and severly under powered!

But it is the cleanest Golf in Blackpool, check out my pics:

http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/aluntarr/?action=view¤t=Alun2.jpg

Cam
16-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm in the UK.

I have a Bora MkIV, 2000, 2.0L, 115 Bhp.

It's a fairly reliable car, although a bit underpowered for size, I think.

It does drink a little oil, the manual claims upto 1.0L/ 1000 Km.

I Have had the old fallen window issue, fixed that with repair a genuine VW kit from ebay. No major issue so far.

Generally I reckon, VW consumables which I have used in servicing are poor quality. e.g. brake discs/pads etc.

Cheers

mark m
22-07-2007, 07:54 PM
2.0 8v bora missing think its fuel problem possibly injectors any ideas?

mark m
22-07-2007, 08:01 PM
problems with missing at low revs possible injector? 2.0 8v bora wreg any ideas

Cam
23-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Any other symptoms, what condition is the car in when you get the misfire?

Cold engine? certain gear and revs?

Could be a number of things, when I had this I had a failed MAF sensor and one failed spark plug.

If your plug/s have gone, you might also notice the revs will dip very low on the gear changes and struggle at idle, may even stall.

MAF sensor is common on VW/ Audis there are loads of threads on it.

If you take the car to a local dealer for a diagnostic, they can pin point it with VAGcom.

You can then go to a garage and get it fixed at a realistic cost.

Cheers

BJM
25-07-2007, 07:20 AM
I live in Tasmania, Australia and I have a 2005 Bora V5 Sport. I'm not sure what Hp it's rated at but it's a 2.3 litre and has managed to show up some turbo Subarus in the twisties
:D

Snowdance38
25-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I live in Tasmania, Australia and I have a 2005 Bora V5 Sport. I'm not sure what Hp it's rated at but it's a 2.3 litre and has managed to show up some turbo Subarus in the twisties
:D

Ok.. That one has my intrest.. 2005 Bora I will guess that is called a Golf in many countrys.. A Rabbit here in the US.. As the New Jetta seems to be called a Jetta every were in the world now.

However the 2.3 litre engine is intresting.. Here the std engine in the Rabbit, Jetta is the 2.5 5 cyl non turbo with the Lamborghini Gallardo V10 head design.. Its used in all of the Americas.. North and South.. But a 2.3 liter engine is some thing I have never heard of.. Is it a turbo?? And where can we find any info on it??

As far as thru the corners.. There are few cars that seem to keep up with the 2006 up VW cars.. Our Jetta with the 17 inch wheels slips thru corners and will leave most any thing behind.. And endless corners are about all we do here in the high country. We always enjoy getting out into the flats where we can see a ways and hammer the throttle..

OK I found the engine.. Its the VR6 engine and does not seem to have the turbo.. I bet it does go well.. There are a few of those around here in older cars but I have yet to see any of the 2006 up Rabbits with that engine.. I like that engine but it only seems to come in the Turbo 186 Kw or 250 hp setup and we can usaly only find low test fuel in the high country and the Turbos seem to run very poor on it, so we are really stuck with the 2.5 non turbo and low test fuel..

BJM
25-07-2007, 10:29 PM
The car isn't a rabbit. It is the last of what you would call a Mk IV Jetta.
It is basically the 2.8 VR6 motor with one less cylinder.
The car comes complete with the 4Motion brake package so it has the 312mm front brakes and ventillated rears.
It also came stock with a nice set of 17" wheels and sticky tyres.
I love the full leather sports bucket seats and the seat heaters.
What I'm not so keen on in the walnut dash and door inserts, I've been looking around for a reasonable price in the R32 brushed alloy dash package for a little bling.

I have only done two modifications so far. It had a 22mm solid adjustable rear swaybar and an Audi TT short shifter.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/bjm374/BoraFront1.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a72/bjm374/IMGP0769_small.jpg

Snowdance38
26-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I looked up the VW V5.. Intresting figures.. Great HP.. But I was not able to find out about the intake cam control ect.. Not sure if its fixed timing or varies by need.. And here that is a Jetta.. Not sure why but it is..

I also find it intresting they did not bring it to the America's but brought an inline 5 instead.. But then the inline will run on most any thing you can call fuel.. And in the America's we do have some fuel stops that sell gas blended off with all kinds stuff.. From what I read the V5 likes the high test stuff..

Nice looking car.. And its the color I like best.. I think all of the Mk IV jetta's went fast here when people heard there would be no more.. They still sell used for a very high price.. I just sold my 2002 Jetta (Bora) wagon (estate) for more than I paid for it with 43,000 miles.. It was dealer serviced and as clean as new.. I had not planned to sell it but a fellow saw it and was looking for one.. His offer was so good I just could not say no.. Now waiting for the new Jetta wagon to come out.. I think I may want one..

My last 3 VW's have had heated seats, mirrors and washers.. Not sure I could live with out those things.. My car was ordered with the things I wanted so passed on the wood trim and went stainless.. In the heat of the sun the wood trim I have had in my other cars cracks after a couple years..

BJM
26-07-2007, 12:55 AM
My Bora came that way. I didn't get a choice on options. It was bought after the new Jetta was released here. There were only three left in the state. One was blue with a tan leather interior and there was no way that was going to stand up to my 3yr old daughters abuse. The other one was black with leather interior and sunroof. The problem with that one was they had just fitted a full bodykit to it. Now I've got no problem with a bodykit but I wasn't about to pay an extra $3k for a kit I didn't want. So in the end it was take the silver Bora with all the trimmings or the Mk V Jetta base 2.0...

You know the story from here :D

Snowdance38
26-07-2007, 01:15 AM
I was lucky that I could order my car with the things I wanted.. I understand they are no longer doing that.. Just selling with packages.. You want this, you get that with it.. Nothing you can do.. My car is a mix of things from different packages.. I think I will hang on to it for some time.. We really like it..

Also intresting the 2.0 non turbo is not sold here any more.. And that was an engine I really liked.. Not a lot of power but it did last for ever.. With very few problems.. The only 2.0 sold here is the 200 hp turbo..

BJM
26-07-2007, 01:34 AM
They are selling a three different engines in the Jetta here.

2.0 FSI (143Hp) - the direct injection one
2.0 Turbo FSI (191Hp) - same as above only the turbo version
2.0 TDI (134Hp)

The golf on the other hand gets another three engines

1.4 TSI (163Hp) - twin charger (supercharger and turbo)
1.6 (98Hp)
1.9 TDI (100Hp)

Of course there is always the R32 as well

3.2 V6 (240Hp)

On another note I never figured out why they had a V5 and a VR6. When you consider that they had the same cylinder configuration it would have made more sense to have a VR5 and VR6 or V5 and V6...
Who knows what the marketing department were thinking when they came up with their names....

Snowdance38
26-07-2007, 01:57 AM
Here there are only two engines in the Jetta.. 2.5 150 HP inline and 2.0 200 hp turbo.. The same engines are in the Rabbit.. But like there the R32 has the VR6.. 150 hp.. ect.. Do they tax you there by engine size.. Not here.. Just by the price of the car..

So what time is it there .. Here its almost 6 PM.. 100 degrees F.. Light breeze and sun still up for another 3 hours or so.. Have some chicken , Squash and corn on the BBQ.. Watching the deer eat my grape vines.. Damn things will eat any thing except a weed.. Always wonder each year if they will leave enough for us to have grapes.. But then always have more than we can eat..

BJM
26-07-2007, 02:07 AM
It's about 11am here, raining and it's warm today 14 degrees C (57 degrees F). Lately we've been topping out around 6 degrees C (43 degrees F).

Click here for our weather forecast (http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDT13400.html)

Snowdance38
26-07-2007, 02:12 AM
The high temps sound much like our winter.. But here the nights are almost always below freezing from Late Oct to late May.. But in the high country the temps fall fast after the sun goes down.. Often see frost and almost always need a jacket after sun set.. Our low tonight will be in the 50's or high 40's.. I have seen frost in summer here too.. We had snow on several of the local Mts last week..

Snowdance38
26-07-2007, 02:39 AM
We have some pics stashed at

www.photos.yahoo.com/snowdance38

if you want to see some of the stuff in North America.. Really not unlike where you are.. We live in areas much alike ..