PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf Oil Pressure Light and Buzzer problems

mc_massingham
28-11-2007, 08:27 PM
VW GOLF CL AUTO (K Reg Petrol)
Every year after an annual service the Oil Light and buzzer come on at 2100 rpm once the engine is HOT. to control this I have to increase revs to 3000 for the light and buzzer to go off.

This years service finally does it.......I have change the high and low pressure switches as recommended by VW, but guess what nothing has changed.

This must be something simple as before the service the car was perfect.

I have ready many threads on the low oil pressure issues, but no-one seems to have solved the problem.

Yes the car has oil, normal water temperature and pressure is okay.

Have read about changing the type of oil, but no-one seems to have really solved the issue.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP me and other VW owners with the same problem!!!

ATB
MARK

Ben
29-11-2007, 07:46 PM
hello and welcome.

RickT
01-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Hello and Welcome to the forum!

Rick

mc_massingham
01-12-2007, 12:30 AM
thank you

alfikoo7
14-03-2009, 08:46 PM
VW GOLF MEX 1,8 66kW
I have the same problem

Oil Light come on at 2100 rpm and to increase to 3000 the light to go off.

But I dont find out solution

Andrzej from POLAND

mc_massingham
15-03-2009, 12:48 PM
get engine checked asap my engine blow up so I scrapped the car.........

cujo444
04-08-2011, 02:24 AM
I know this is an old post, but I had the same problem with my 93 Golf GL and thought I would share with others how I solved it. It actually was an easy fix. The oil that VW recommends is not heavy enough. The engine heats up when you are idling or in city traffic because the cooling fans don't come on until 90celcius. By then it's too late your oil has thinned out and it activates the sensors. I fixed the issue by changing my engine oil mixture. During the summer months I put in 2 Litres of 5W40 & 2 Litres of 20W50 (top up with 20W50)...my engine loves it and runs cooler and my oil pressure sensors have never gone off since. During the winter months I change the mixture to 3 Litres of 5W40 & 1 Litre of 20W50 and add a bit of Lucas to the engine to keep the upper cylinders lubed during cold starts. I've been running this way for 2 years now and my sensors have never gone off since. When the oil gets too hot it thins out and activates the sensors. Problem solved with heavier oil. My Golf has 246,000 km's on it and going strong. Hope this helps somebody else....if anybody knows how to make the cooling fans come on sooner, I would really like to know.

McNalpy
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Yep, this is an old post but turned out a very, very useful one for me. So I signed up to thank you cujo444, thank you so much, man! You're a saver! Your suggestion worked like magic. Flashing red light had become very annoying. It has been gone for 3 weeks now, thanks to a higher viscosity oil.

If your flashing red light comes on after a few minutes into driving (after the engine is warmed up) the culprit may be the low-viscosity oil. So I second cujo444, try this before you try anything more expensive and complicated. It saved me a lot of $.

Dan Stubbings
03-03-2014, 02:28 AM
Hi, I am having the same issue with my 98 VW golf 2.0L. I was just wondering what oil you used before? I am running 10w30 right now, but will give this a shot once the weather warms up in a bit. Thanks.

SammoVWT
05-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Hi, I am having the same issue with my 98 VW golf 2.0L. I was just wondering what oil you used before? I am running 10w30 right now, but will give this a shot once the weather warms up in a bit. Thanks.

Surely 10w30 is not only brave, but too thin for this engine?

I would have expected at least a 10w40 for this engine, unless you have a fresh re-build with very tight clearances.

I run a 0w40 in mine, partly because I can - and I had a dying starter motor - so i've stuck with it. I also have been using this since I had my car re-built. I would even worry to use a '30'.

Dan Stubbings
06-03-2014, 04:38 AM
Surely 10w30 is not only brave, but too thin for this engine?

I would have expected at least a 10w40 for this engine, unless you have a fresh re-build with very tight clearances.

I run a 0w40 in mine, partly because I can - and I had a dying starter motor - so i've stuck with it. I also have been using this since I had my car re-built. I would even worry to use a '30'.

Thanks for the advice it was warm enough today that I could do an oil change, and after a few issues with getting the filter off (and a lot of cussing), I ended up switching the oil and put 5w40 in due to our colder weather. However, the light still comes on, I think it is something with the wiring (which I know nothing about). I now have the proper oil, have changed both the sensors, and dropped the pan to check the pump and pick up tube and both looked good... Any ideas?

Dan Stubbings
06-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Another note, it doesn't seem to come on if I am in neutral and rev the engine to 2100 rpms it seems to only come on in 3rd, 4th and 5th. If I accelerate through to 3000 rpms it will turn off but if I let it stay in the range for a bit and switch gears, afterwards it stays on.

SammoVWT
06-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Im not sure where your oil pressure switch is on this engine, you need to check it.

My switch came with a spade connector type of connection to it. Does yours have something similar?

I fear if everything is replaced that the oil pump may be knackered :/ Check the wiring if you can to see continuity between the switch and the end of the loom imo. Or if you have an oil pressure gauge which you can connect in to monitor the pressure, then i'm sure someone can confirm if you have the correct oil pressure in your engine.

Dan Stubbings
06-03-2014, 09:19 PM
There are two switches, the high pressure (white) attached to the oil sender unit, and the low pressure (blue) attached to the side of the block. I found some pictures on vwvortex.com

I won't get to do much with my vehicle for a few days as we are in the middle of the blizzard, so I will continue my research.

McNalpy
18-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Hi Dan, sorry for not being able to get back to you sooner. I believe the oil I used before was 5w30, but I switched to 20w50 and no oil problems ever since- that's almost two years. The car is being used by my brother-in-law now and he says the engine has been running great. But again, it's Dubai weather we're talking about. I agree the oil recommended by VW might be too thin, as it was in my case.

Hope you can sort it out soon.

fransico
11-09-2014, 08:16 PM
I Have a vw golf 97 2.0 it feels gutless going up hills any help would be great