PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage DSG cars

Jmarsden0
28-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Hi, I'm looking at 2004 Golf GT TDI cars with dsg. Within my budget they've all done 50-90k, what maintenance issues and costs arise with the gearbox at that kind of mileage? :confused:

Cheers.

Nicks
10-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Hi, I'm looking at 2004 Golf GT TDI cars with dsg. Within my budget they've all done 50-90k, what maintenance issues and costs arise with the gearbox at that kind of mileage? :confused:

Cheers.

if you have a look at the stickies there are a few people having problems with the dsg.. servicing a automatic gear box can be more expensive than a manual for sure. why not go for a manual? .3 of sec slower tho.. hehe

Teflon
11-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Take a look at this thread for a good source of info on problems.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/1025625.aspx

It seems there have been a lot of problems, especially on early TT's. It was a concern to me, because both me and the wife have DSG cars but I'm happy to take the risk because the DSG is just so good to have.

I suppose like all things mechanical, problems are a combination of dodgy design & manufacture (should have been ironed out by now), regular and effective maintenance and whether a car has been regularly thrashed within an inch of it's life. Unfortunately, you can't always tell a well thrashed car from the condition of it.

If you are buying 4 years old, might be a good idea to spend a few hundred quid on a good, third party warranty and make sure all the oily bits are covered.