PDA

View Full Version : 2.7t watchpoints

thenobbler
28-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Hi there,

I'm giving very serious thought to buying a 2.7T A6, having taken fright at the likely mechanical issues with my original choice - an S8 or S6 - due to potential high mileage engine and gearbox issues. Can anyone in the know provide me with any pointers with regard to this model and any likely age or mileage related problems. I guess the key question is whether a 2.7T would be a safer buy than a 4.2 - and yes, I know that depends on stuff like the quality of the service history, I'm just looking for any tips on offer (please)

Thanks

Tony.

toff
29-11-2007, 02:32 AM
Hi,

I'd just like to say that, in my opinion, that a V6 with two turbos's (two intake / intercooler paths, two MAFs etc) will be under more stress and more likely to develop faults than a large capacity, normally aspirated V8.

Unless I'm mistaken, you can only get the S6 & S8 in auto / tiptronic. The auto box limits the amount that the engine can be thrashed, compared to a manual.

Just my 2 p's worth :)

I'm just about to sell my S6 (106k miles) but there's one for sale on eBay with just 66k on the clock at the moment.

Alex.

webchem
30-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Forgive me sticking this daft question here, but...

If there are two turbos, is one a high pressure and one a low? The delivery of power on mine is almost seemless.

I have had my 2.7T for nearly 7 months, and apart from a great thirst, its fantastic. Totally effortless.

toff
02-12-2007, 04:11 AM
if there are two turbos, is one a high pressure and one a low? The delivery of power on mine is almost seamless.

Nope, the turbos are the same size and should (in a perfect world) deliver exactly the same amount of boost.

Your engine has 3 cylinders on each bank of the V. You have a turbo for each bank of the V, a separate airbox and an SMIC (side mounted intercooler) for each of the turbos.

In contrast (just for example) Saab's generally only have one turbo on their V6 engines. The turbo feeds the manifold which then feeds the inlet manifold leading to all 6 cylinders.

Hope that helps - Alex.

webchem
02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Great answer - so the nice whistle is both turbos operating...

I have had a look under the bonnet, but its a bit different from my olf Vauxhall Cavalier when I could quite happily service and identify all the bits!

gazza57
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Make sure you get the cambelts done at the correct time, (80K miles I think) get the kit. including the labour at an independent garage it costs about 600-700 quid and includes new rollers, belt, tensioner, water pump and thermostat.
The two turbos are smaller than one large one and this results in less turbo lag, and one other thing worth mentioning is OIL.
The oil should be to VW spec 504.507, it aint cheap around £10 a litre.
It can be on fixed or variable servicing, fixed on mine comes out at 9500 miles between changes. You can get it on variable which can give 14k miles between services but with turbos oil feed is number one priority, lose that to either and it's goodbye turbo hello big bucks.
Audi say you can use either, but I won't take a chance, better an extra oil change than a blown turbo.
The car is a joy, I've put 22k miles on mine this year and never tire from driving it it's quite simply brilliant.
Gazza57:D

webchem
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
The car is a joy, I've put 22k miles on mine this year and never tire from driving it it's quite simply brilliant.
Gazza57:D

That makes two of us then...

A fantastic car that I have not got bored of driving - I doubt I ever will!

Not looking forward to cost of servicing, but it is fantastic!

:biglaugh:

There just seems to be this constant stream of power that almost never stops (at least not on roads in the UK). It grips like a dream and can quite happily transport 4 hefty adults around in comfort without affecting performance!

toff
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Is the 2.7T the same engine that the RS4 (of the same era) got?

Alex.

buster
03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
The 2.7T will give better fuel economy and performance is about the same, perhaps not quite as good, but you will not notice much difference.

The V8 engine is a lot heavier which makes it understeer more. The V6 is bad enough because the engine sticks out in front of the front wheels.

Either way, look foward to a driving experience to make your toes curl ;)

buster
03-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Is the 2.7T the same engine that the RS4 (of the same era) got?

Alex.

Yes but detuned to 230bhp to start with, then 250bhp for later cars.

S4 had 265 bhp

toff
04-12-2007, 03:26 AM
Yes but detuned to 230bhp to start with, then 250bhp for later cars.

S4 had 265 bhp

Thanks..

So if the S4 had 265 bhp, what did the RS4 have?

In mid 2006, I was considering swapping my R32 in for an RS4 (1999 /2000), but it hardly felt quicker than the R32 (240bhp) so I didn't bother (considering the RS4 was still around 20k at the time and my R32 was 14k)

From what people were telling my, the RS4 should have torn my face off, I wonder if I drove a bad example? The R32 is quite a bit lighter, but obviously doesn't have 2 turbos!

Al.

buster
04-12-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks..

So if the S4 had 265 bhp, what did the RS4 have?

In mid 2006, I was considering swapping my R32 in for an RS4 (1999 /2000), but it hardly felt quicker than the R32 (240bhp) so I didn't bother (considering the RS4 was still around 20k at the time and my R32 was 14k)

From what people were telling my, the RS4 should have torn my face off, I wonder if I drove a bad example? The R32 is quite a bit lighter, but obviously doesn't have 2 turbos!

Al.

The engine layout on the RS4 as far as I know was the same but it had a thicker wall block, stronger pistons, rods etc, and much bigger turbos.

Still a 2.7L 30 valve V6, but with 380bhp, and yes it should have pulled your face off.

I drove the new RS4 the other day and now I have nipples on my shoulder blades!

My 2.7T is very nice though, and plenty quick enough.