PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 TDI loss in power once engine warms up

EmmettC
27-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi folks,

i'm thinkin of buying a 98 Audi A4 TDI off a friend of mine, i have it on trial at the moment and i'm finding the turbo doesn't work so well once the engine warms up. Just last night i drove her really hard and she was flying it, then after about 5 mins there was a noticeable lack of power. Then driving home today after work the same thing happened.

From reading the rest of the topics on this forum, a common problem is the MAF sensor being at fault and needing replacing.

Is what i described above very symptomatic of the MAF sensor failing?? Or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance

Emmett

paul b
28-11-2007, 12:33 AM
It is possibly be the MAF, but it may be the turbo unit itself. But for sure, first thing to do would be to change the MAF. However, if you are, BUY A GENUINE ONE! People have bought MAFs made by independent companies and then regretted it fairly soon.
Paul

EmmettC
28-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks for your reply Paul,

another thing, the car has not been driven for 3 months up until last Sunday, and i know it is generally not good for a car not to be driven.

Could the fact that the car has been sitting idle for so long have a negative effect on the Turbo or MAF??

Emmett

jshodgson
28-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Try cleaning the MAF before buying a new one. Unbolt it and spray with Carb cleaner but handle it with care as they are delicate. Might be worth a try. Some people advise checking for air leaks as they can cause similar symptons. Some people have fixed teh problem for pennies (new pipes) after being qouted £1000+ for a new turbo!!!!

paul b
28-11-2007, 11:47 PM
After a week or so of driving the car should have sorted itself out again after 3 months of standstill.
Paul

EmmettC
29-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Paul,

i was thinking the problem could sort itself out after a good bit of driving. It'll probably be alright by the time i bring it to the mechanic on Tuesday! But sure its no harm for it to get checked out before i decide wether to buy it or not. In the mean time i'll go for a couple of long drives this weekend.

Thanks

Emmett