PDA

View Full Version : Disabling the alarm

andy1971
27-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi all

New to this forum - Owned a 2.0 TDi Sport 4 Motion for the past 12 months (almost to the day) and not dissapointed.

Use the car on frequent trips to the Mosel. One problem however. In rough seas on the car ferry the alarm generally triggers at some stage during the journey.

Is there a way of locking the car without enabling the alarm?

andy1971
27-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Found a response elsewhere on the forum. Apparanetly the button on the drivers pillar disables the alarm.

Do you know, I have never seen that button before! No idea how it works.

Stuart W
28-11-2007, 02:51 AM
Found a response elsewhere on the forum. Apparanetly the button on the drivers pillar disables the alarm.

It's in the manual of course, but ISTR something about it being used if you want to leave "vulneralbe people" or pets in the car, thus if you locked it and activated the alarm then they would they would trigger the movement sensors in the car's interior and thus trigger the alarm.

My Passat was on the back of a recovery vehicle the other week :Blush2:and the movement was triggering the alarm, but this was easily sorted from the cab using the remote key, but clearly this wouldn't work on a ferry if you're a good distance from the car.

iaint
28-11-2007, 09:40 AM
There are two buttons on the pillar. One as mentioned to disable the interior sensors to allow you to leave someone in the car and lock it. The other one disables the motion sensor so you can lock the car while being towed (or on a ferry) the symbol on this button shows a car being towed.

Cheers
Iain

Stuart W
28-11-2007, 11:25 PM
There are two buttons on the pillar. One as mentioned to disable the interior sensors to allow you to leave someone in the car and lock it. The other one disables the motion sensor so you can lock the car while being towed (or on a ferry) the symbol on this button shows a car being towed.

Should have remembered that when I was getting my 'lift':o

Had a closer look tonight, and the buttons illuminate the standard red when the car is unlocked until the key is inserted, and when leaving the car the buttons are illuminated until it's locked. I didn't try them, but perhaps the buttons illuminate orange when activated?

However, the position of the buttons mean that it's almost impossible to view the symbols properly, at least unless the driver's seat is very far back.

iaint
29-11-2007, 09:28 AM
I didn't try them, but perhaps the buttons illuminate orange when activated?

However, the position of the buttons mean that it's almost impossible to view the symbols properly, at least unless the driver's seat is very far back.

That's right, when you press either button it turns from red to yellow and when you lock the car it will disable that part of the alarm. Once you unlock the car it will revert to normal operation and you'll need to push the button again to lock the car with either sensor turned off.

I agree that it is difficult to see the symbols but I think they have been put there on purpose so you don't accidently turn your alarm off by catching them when getting out.

Cheers
Iain

gazza007
29-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I only have one button which I believe combines the two

andy1971
08-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for your responses. I too have only one button. I should go to the handbook, but I recall that line from one of my kids Bob the Builder DVD's:- Handbooks are only for people who don't know what they are doing....Errr that'll be me then!

Incidently as an experiment I left my kids in the car for 5 mins with the alarm on without disabling the motion sensor, and despite them trying to press every button, open every drawer and generally trying to wreck the thing, the alarm never went off.

claranet
15-12-2007, 02:28 AM

It works by switching off the sensors inside the car. This is useful when carrying Children and/or Dogs. The Button - which is illuminated, is just above the lower seat belt fixing point on the Drivers pillar; just press the button before closing and blipping.

The Alarm works on sensing stationary air within the car; if the air is not stationary then it assumes that something has entered the cabin

If you have stuff that is not still with the motion of the ferry, then it will trip the Alarm.

claranet