PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Heater not working

rikwalter
27-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi Chaps,

My Alhambra Tdi SE (130) on a 04 plate has the auxiliary heater fitted to the near side but it never seems to work.
My local SEAT garage said it will not fire up until the temp drops to 4 deg...
It was minus 2 the other day and I drove the car for 20 mins taking the kids to school but after I stopped I had a look under the car and the heater had not even started, not smoke, heat nothing!!!
I have looked at the garage bills from the previous owner and the heater failed in the first year of ownership and was replaced under warranty.
I have seen other references to a control panel for the heater in the roof by the courtesey light (maybe an earlier model) This car is fitted with the climate control and I can adjust the temp at different levels front and rear. I have had the heat setting on HI front and rear and still no aux heater, all cabling and pipes look OK.
so my question is this -

Does anyone know of a simple test I can do to test the functionality of this heater?
or where the fuses, relays are?

Any help much appreciated

chris m
27-12-2007, 02:47 PM
i have the same auxillary heater on mine, basically an eberspacher hydronic diesel heater. the switch you talk about on the roof lining is above passenger side b post on mine, but i dont have climate...to be honest that only controls the blower/ temp and a switch on the dash controls that. the heater does what it wants when it wants, i have no control but this last month its been on all the time. It seems to operate under very cold conditions automatically and the switch on the dash controls it any other time. my dash heater doesn't work on one and two so we use it all the time. hope this helps

rikwalter
27-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the reply, I don't have any switch on the roof to control a heater, only courtesy lights...
I have seen a picture of a heater control switch by the center courtesey light but i now know this was an earlier model as mine has climate control.
I think there is a temp sender somewhere under the bonnet that controls when the heater turns on and I also think this comes on when the temp drops below 4 - 5 deg, I also believe that if I was to remove the sender and short the connector this would start the heater, but I have no idea where this is.
Cheers
:confused:

chris m
30-12-2007, 11:45 PM
i will have a dig about and see what i can find out and let you know, to be honest i wanted to stop mine coming on as much, its not that they are heavy on fuel when running, but when its on all the time it hammers my fuel economy.