PDA

View Full Version : A4 Noisy Steering

mas66
27-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi All

Have searched for this with no luck so apologies if it features elsewhere.

I have a 5 week old A4 Avant 2.0TDI S-Line MultiTronic.

Since new the steering groans when manouvering at low speed especially when reversing, as well as the groan, you can actually feel it through the steering (if that makes sense).

I booked it in to the supplying dealer, when I arrived and explained the problem, I was told quite clearly that it was a known fault, but as yet Audi had no fix for it !. I was taken for a test drive with a technician, who casually in conversation again told me it was a known fault with no fix, he also told me that Audi had shipped a couple of cars back to Germany for investigations and added that others had taken it up with Audi and had got nowhere !

On the basis of the above and that I have been supplied a vehicle with a steering fault that as yet has no known cause or cure , I have rejected the car asking for either a full refund of the invoice price or a like for like replacement of a vehicle with no faults.

Anyone got any thoughts on this or any knowledge of a similar problem.

Cheers

Mark

kite
27-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I've heard there is a replacement pipe for the "steering groan" problem.
Phone Audi CS !

mas66
28-11-2007, 12:14 AM
I've heard there is a replacement pipe for the "steering groan" problem.
Phone Audi CS !

Just been reading post about this on Tyresmoke and this apparantly makes little difference.

On my return home tonight, I had a message left by the dealer simply saying that Audi UK are awaiting a repair from Germany on this and they will get back to me !!

andywell
30-11-2007, 01:37 PM
I have the exact same car and the exact same noise:zx11:. Can be a bit annoying at times but my local Audi dealer told me it was a known problem and Audi were working on a solution

a8 tech
30-11-2007, 09:04 PM
ISSUE,is the word.Ok the left hand vehicles dont suffer with this issue but the right hand drive do.What is happening is the returning pas fluid has lots of air in the fluid which causes the droning,you can remove the restrictors from the pipe and this reduces the drone but the modified pipes only subside the issue as the pas circuit has been opened.The solution is the rack however the rack you need is yet to be released to the audi uk market and is still being tested.As there is no likely hood of any failure and the drone only occurs on hard left lock(on average)at low speeds it isnt top of the list but there will be some info in the first quarter of 2008.hope that helps as i no you may all be reciving mixed answers from the dealers.

mas66
01-12-2007, 04:15 PM
ISSUE,is the word.Ok the left hand vehicles dont suffer with this issue but the right hand drive do.What is happening is the returning pas fluid has lots of air in the fluid which causes the droning,you can remove the restrictors from the pipe and this reduces the drone but the modified pipes only subside the issue as the pas circuit has been opened.The solution is the rack however the rack you need is yet to be released to the audi uk market and is still being tested.As there is no likely hood of any failure and the drone only occurs on hard left lock(on average)at low speeds it isnt top of the list but there will be some info in the first quarter of 2008.hope that helps as i no you may all be reciving mixed answers from the dealers.

Thanks A8 Tech, Thats very useful and is more or less what the dealer has now told me (except the time scales) .... they have removed the restrictors and it has reduced the noise.

Call it an issue or fault its a play on words, My gripe is that buying a brand new Audi I dont expect any known faults or issues present at the time of purchase without letting me know so that I decide if or not I continue with the purchase.

If a steering rack will need replacing on a new car they should be up front.

(Rant Over) :)

Thanks

Mark

a8 tech
01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Sales will not be aware of this issue and there are only a certain number of vehicles that have the issue(2.0 diesel s line).The dealers are reporting as and when customers notice this and bring the vehicles into the dealers.Germany has took some time responding to this but there not going to halt production for a small % of complaints.However there are currently 5 steering racks on trial in the uk as the fault only occurs in the uk then this is the best place to test it.I under stand your frustration which i also share but this tricky little drone seems to be causing mixed reaction from master techs and product tech as to a final solution,so hold in there and recontact your dealer to complete diss report to the facory as the more reported vehicles the higher up the food chain the issue goes and more interest from vag.To all you a4 droners get those delaers to complete a diss report.Dont come to me as i have already submitted 5 reports and my customers have my email and are awaiting instructions.:biglaugh:

mas66
01-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Sales will not be aware of this issue and there are only a certain number of vehicles that have the issue(2.0 diesel s line).The dealers are reporting as and when customers notice this and bring the vehicles into the dealers.Germany has took some time responding to this but there not going to halt production for a small % of complaints.However there are currently 5 steering racks on trial in the uk as the fault only occurs in the uk then this is the best place to test it.I under stand your frustration which i also share but this tricky little drone seems to be causing mixed reaction from master techs and product tech as to a final solution,so hold in there and recontact your dealer to complete diss report to the facory as the more reported vehicles the higher up the food chain the issue goes and more interest from vag.To all you a4 droners get those delaers to complete a diss report.Dont come to me as i have already submitted 5 reports and my customers have my email and are awaiting instructions.:biglaugh:

Thanks again A8 Tech, I appreciate your contribution to this, I have to say the only person at the dealership who has been honest (albeit off the record verbally) has been the Master Technician

I would be interested to hear any others views on what you guys would do if essentially you discovered your brand new car needs a new steering rack because of a fault/issue that existed before you bought it.

Would you accept it and wait for the testing on new racks to finish (with no guarantee as to what happens in the future) or would you reject the car under the SOGA and start again ?

cheers

Mark

Rathmac
03-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi guys, first post here and the main reason why I joined.

I have an A4 Tdi S-line 170 with an ever worsening steering "groan" in a car that is less than one year old!! After reading the posts on here tonight I'm going straight to the dealer in the morning to get some answers.

Mas66 - i'm with you on this one and will be asking them if they have fulfilled all their duties under the SOGA. If not they may have an argument on their hands. As you say what is there to say the problem won't get any worse and with no fix to the problem are we expected to drive a "defective" car for the foreseeable future?

I'll post back here with any progress.

mas66
05-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi Guys

JUst thought I would update anyone who is interested or suffering the same problem.

I have now received a full unconditional refund from my Audi Dealer after returning my car at their request today ! ... How happy am I. No arguments no fuss just a cheque !

My only problem now is what to replace it with ?

Cheers

Mark

JohnH
08-12-2007, 12:06 AM
My '07 TDi 170 SE Avant makes this noise, it's a company car so I've kinda ignored it pending the first service as it doesn't seem to affect the function or safety of the steering at all (please tell me if you know differently) ?

I have to ask (please don't be offended) - was this the only fault/reason for returning the car - seems a wee bit drastic returning a car for a steering noise to me ?:confused:

Now the disappointing fuel economy, tiresome performance characteristics and general lack of refinement of the 170 TDi engine might prompt me were I not in a lease.....

mas66
08-12-2007, 01:37 AM
My '07 TDi 170 SE Avant makes this noise, it's a company car so I've kinda ignored it pending the first service as it doesn't seem to affect the function or safety of the steering at all (please tell me if you know differently) ?

I have to ask (please don't be offended) - was this the only fault/reason for returning the car - seems a wee bit drastic returning a car for a steering noise to me ?:confused:

Now the disappointing fuel economy, tiresome performance characteristics and general lack of refinement of the 170 TDi engine might prompt me were I not in a lease.....

Im not at all offended :) ..... because I actually began questioning myself as to whether I was being too fussy........ The car essentially needs a new steering rack and had done so since before I bought it ..... AUdi could not give me any assurance as to when and if it would be fixed. I just asked myself ... is this what you expect from a new £28k car ? .... I would say no....... and I really think that the speed and lack of fuss with which they gave me a full and unconditional refund actually tells a big story and clearly shows I was right.... had I been wrong Audi would have sent me packing. The other thing to take into account is I had 2 choices ... reject the car or shut up and take whatever comes. Other than the steering fault I was very happy with the car.

Cheers

Mark

JohnH
09-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks - good luck with your new car, whatever you choose !

I once had to have the steering rack replaced (on a Vauxhall Vectra:Blush2:) - it was one of an endless litany of faults, once again a company car and the experience persuaded me to 'opt out' for 4 years - just to get the freedom to 'reject' which you've exercised.

markle
25-12-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a 2.0TDI 140BHP SE, experiencing the same fault. Not everytime, but it's always at low speed and when turning sharply.

It is a tad annoying, as when spending a good amount of money we all like things to be 100%. However, as it doesn't affect any functionality and it only happens generally when parking, I am OK to accept. But having said that, I am going to report it. If there is a fix, I should expect as it is not dangerous nor not restricting any functionality there will not likely be a general recall so worth reporting so I can get the fix, when available.

I also noticed a vibration from the clutch pedal when touching lightly or changing gear, (not when released or fully depressed but inbetween) this too a tad annoying, but elsewhere on this forum seems a common 'feature' of TDI hydraulic clutches.

Otherwise my A4 Avant is such a great car, quick, economical, practical and low cost on UK tax! My previous car was a 5 Series BMW, (E60) so judging by the media, some car to beat. But I am having soo much more fun!

inertia
03-01-2008, 10:59 AM
is it the same steering rack as on the B6 ? I think I have a similar problem on my B6

nitram
13-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Hi, firstimer to this, I have an A4 cabrio 2lt tdi with the same steering noise, audi replaced the rack at 2000 miles, this stopped the noise, then clutch started to judder so they replaced the clutch at 4000 miles since all this has happened (along with other little faults) the steering is now very twitchey, ie any marks or lines in the road and its like being on a roller coaster but no so much fun. I also removed the engine under tray and found a large spacer type washer laying on top of the cover.
Any clues or should I demand a refund or new car.
Sadly after all this (5 visits back to Audi in 7 months with faults) I still think the car is great.

Thanks

m6dtt
14-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Hi Guys

JUst thought I would update anyone who is interested or suffering the same problem.

I have now received a full unconditional refund from my Audi Dealer after returning my car at their request today ! ... How happy am I. No arguments no fuss just a cheque !

My only problem now is what to replace it with ?

Cheers

Mark

Hi My 06/2007 A4 2.0Tdi's steering has groaned from day one. The dealer chaged some piping but still the groaning persists.
They tell me nonesense that they can't hear it.

I can hear it when I drive.

Can I demand a refund now that I have owned the car since June 2007 from new?

Mine is a Lex lease car as well that I ordered from the factory.

Any tips??
Cheers.

m6dtt
14-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Hi, firstimer to this, I have an A4 cabrio 2lt tdi with the same steering noise, audi replaced the rack at 2000 miles, this stopped the noise, then clutch started to judder so they replaced the clutch at 4000 miles since all this has happened (along with other little faults) the steering is now very twitchey, ie any marks or lines in the road and its like being on a roller coaster but no so much fun. I also removed the engine under tray and found a large spacer type washer laying on top of the cover.
Any clues or should I demand a refund or new car.
Sadly after all this (5 visits back to Audi in 7 months with faults) I still think the car is great.

Thanks

Oh my god! Same scenario on mine upto a point.
Steering groaned and the dealer changed the tubes/rack or something. The groaning still occurs and now the clutch judders. Dealer tells me they can't understand the groaning but think the clutch needs a change.
I can't believe they make out like they have no idea what the problem is. This is terrible from Audi to behave like this.

I like the car but hate the groan ... I paid good money for the car and I certainly don't want to hear the steering groan.

Can I demand a refund after 6 months of ownership? I have it on Lex lease.
Cheers.

Nik R
16-01-2008, 09:38 AM
I have a 56 reg RS4 (see speaker flutter) whhich has just started to "groan" on slow turning, most notably to the right. After the hassle i've had with one of my speakers, i bet the dealer (Sheffield) will be well chuffed to hear from me about this!

jonbaker
16-01-2008, 11:22 AM
28k on a car with a fault? i dont care how little the fault is, you buy an audi because you want a decent ride, it should be flawless and i totally agree with you getting your money back, i would have done the same thing and demanded some sort of discount on a replacement for inconvenience.

Can't stand being mugged off!

floydy
16-01-2008, 12:54 PM
I'm new to the forum and have the same problem. Been lethargic to the problem not reporting it until several months after purchase (april 2007). But am very angry and disgusted at the attitude of Audi. Mine is the A4 2.0 TDI s line cabriolet. Been told it will probably go to a recall but are still waiting for a decision from Audi Germany. Can anyone advise if it is to late to reject the car as I for one shall never purchase another Audi and will be going back to Lexus ( sorry for swearing on an Audi forum) who will hopefully bring out a cabriolet compact in the not to distant future. The was purchased through a leasing company. Thanks to anyone in anticipation. By the way when it was booked in to look at the steering I was informed there was nothing wrong I only got an answer when I demanded to see the manager

floydy
16-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Appreciate it if you could tell how long you owned the car before rejecting it? and how you went about it. Thanks.

floydy
16-01-2008, 01:02 PM
28k on a car with a fault? i dont care how little the fault is, you buy an audi because you want a decent ride, it should be flawless and i totally agree with you getting your money back, i would have done the same thing and demanded some sort of discount on a replacement for inconvenience.

Can't stand being mugged off!
Same fault on my a4 cab 2.0tdi s line Bought new in apr 07 Audi's attitude is a disgrace and will not purchase anoyher audi Thinking of rejecting it

a8 tech
15-02-2008, 02:46 PM
New steering rack now avaliable for this issue on 2.0 tdi b7 a4,book in to dealers part number 8E2422053T.

joenalex
28-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Hi a8 tech,

I took my a4 07 back to the dealership to get them to fix this part they said they would but it was on back order, then got a call to say this was not the fix
and they would get back to me.

That was 2 weeks ago .....It's difficult to get any info out of them regarding this problem, they seem to now acknowledge that some audi a4 s-lines have this issue.

Just wondererd if you had heard any more info.

Thanks

a8 tech
28-03-2008, 09:00 PM
the modified rack resolves the issue,try another dealer who knows what there doing

mas66
28-03-2008, 09:10 PM
I had lost track of this thread ........... its interesting to now note that Audi have taken 6 months from the time of my problems plus how ever many months they had been aware to find a fix for this problem. I have no doubt that they sold many more new cars knowing this existed !

Im so glad I rejected and took the refund ..... I ended up buying a new Allroad ..... what a great car !!!!!

Cheers

Mark

nitram
29-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi, at long last i`ve returned my a4 cab to the dealer and ordered a 3lt tdi, i have driven two differant 3lt auto`s and found them totaly different, much better with none of the twitchey steering i had on my 2lt, the dealer have been very good and lent me a new a4 while i wait for my new car.

warrenm14
06-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Hmm Interesting... New user here gents. My audi is having the same issues...

2007 A4 SLine 2.0 TDI 140BHP... been doing this from day one of me owning it (bought it ~11months old 14,5k on the clock) it now has 15,2k on the clock and been back in 3 times for this issue.

I am assured it will be fixed tomorrow by replacing the steering rack and some modified pipes?? PIPES??

I've got a wheel balance done to fix this and a replacement bracket on the manifold... ***? WHY did they do that?? TOTAL TOSS.

Also I took this out under PCP and over 3.5 years to buy it - it's 1 year old this month and still has 2 years Audi warranty - should I battle for another year warranty or just be good with it and take it? I paid 22k so I want a decent car!!!!!!!

GFMALAN
07-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm not so sure about the extending of the warranty, Audi South Africa didn't want to extend my warranty due to this problem. I did receive excellent service from them, and the ordered the rack, and 3 week later with my 1st service they lend me a car while they replaced the steering rack (2 day job with service) (said they want todo a propper job). Its now 18 000km later and no trouble yet! So the rack replacement fixed mine!

warrenm14
07-05-2008, 11:22 AM
well gentlemen it's in today getting fixed up... it will be in overnight they said to make sure it';s complete...

Wait for the courtsey car........

Audi A6 3.0TDI q LeMans Edition - seriously nice/quick car!!!!

elPaulio
07-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Nice!!

Mines has been in for almost two weeks getting work done on it that should have been done before I picked it up!! And I've got the 2.7 TDi Le Mans with all the toys too!! Certainly makes not having your car that bit better, especially when your work colleague comes in with his S-reg Focus as a courtesy car and parks next to you :D

Let us know how it gets on!!

Paul :)

warrenm14
07-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Focus. Ford. LOL.

It's a beast... It's QUICKKKKKKK!!!

elPaulio
07-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Yup, the 2.7 is quite nippy, especially when you get the flappy paddles on the go and catch it just right :firedevil:

Can imagine the 3.0 is a beast!!

warrenm14
07-05-2008, 01:26 PM
yip the flappy paddles are great fun :)

micksee
14-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi, I have a 07 A4 20 TDi SE(170) and have had the same problem since new. The car has had a new steering rack and yesterday had new 'pipes' fitted. Still the problem exists despite being told by the Service Manager it was 99% certain that this would cure it.

I have had the car for 6 months now and wish I had never bothered with Audi. I too, do not expect to pay that much money for a car which is sold with a known fault. I intend to reject the car under the Sale Of Goods Act (SOGA) - if anyone can advise what to do to reject it, please let me know.

I have written to both Audi Finance and my local dealer (Lincoln Audi) re the problem and my discontent. Now I would be grateful for any pointers from anyone who has already rejected a vehicle due to this problem.

Just had a call from local dealer saying he wants to fit another rack to the car - what next I wonder!!!????
:zx11::zx11::zx11::zx11::1zhelp: