PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk3 Gl Stereo Wiring

repta
27-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Recently bought a mk3 GL and the previous owner had a cd player fitted,but it used bullet connectors, so it doesn't have the ISO box any more, they took the cd player out and i have a panasonic cassete player to fit in which would be simple if i knew what the wires were coming out from the dash, ive looked for a few diagrams but the colors dont match up i was wondering if anyone knew which wire was which or had a simple diagram of the wires
thanks

racingdrivermat
09-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone, I too have the same problem, my wiring harness has been cut off by a previous owner, now im trying to connect my iso connector wires but dont have a clue which wire is which on the cars wiring loom.

Can anyone list me which wires I need to use i.e. brown = live, red/white = illumination etc..

Cheers
All help greatly appreciated!

Matt

racingdrivermat
09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
....Surely someone must know! Im getting thirsty for information here! :)

:beerchug:

jonathanfenton
13-02-2008, 03:46 PM
....Surely someone must know! Im getting thirsty for information here! :)

:beerchug:
Its really pretty simple, i have installed many stero systems to a car which has had its ISO Cut, the earth wire is usually the thickest, usually brown/black, to prove this either use a multimeter with the "beep" function hold one stick to unpainted metal on the car and one stick to the wire if it bleeps then thats the earth, move on to the next wire, obviously atleast 8 wires will be speaker cables, so they should be grouped togeather and then wait till the end to wire them up, usually the speaker cables for example will be "Front Left, + Orange with Black Stripes, and -Orange" if you find eight wires like this then pull them to one side, there should be a posative and a ignition posative, with ignition off connect one peg of your multimeter to unpainted metal on the car, then the other on the suspected wire, if there is a voltage then you have a + wire, turn your ignition off and see if the voltage fails then you have an ignition + and if it stays you have your "memory possative", also there should be a Lights possative, then the lights are switched on another + wire will become live, this is to tell the radio to dim its lights so not to dazzle you whilst driving. you then should have your pssatives and negative, there will be an aerial which is obvious (sometimes you will need an adaptor to convert your aerial plug to the new male connector). I know my terminology is rubbish but i am trying to help the best i can, the speakers are easy to sort out, once you have determined your wires for power, then you should have 8 wires left, group them up into 2's you can group them up by using the radio which has its power wired up then keep pressing two wires on to the radios output till you have audio, then you can determin which speaker comes on. set the balance on your radio to full left and then the fader to full front, so only the front left speaker will work, keep trying your speaker wires till the front left speaker comes on, you do thill then to the front left, and then the back ect, this should then be wired up correctly, sorry if i have rambeled but if you get the gist from this then you should be ok!

racingdrivermat
15-02-2008, 01:24 AM
thats fantastic info! really helpe do the trick! I cant thank you enough, good man!:beerchug: