PDA

View Full Version : Golf mk3 1.8 driver judder misfire on tickover

sumomus_01
27-11-2007, 01:55 PM
My golf has an intermittant fault where it seems to misfire/judder when it is ticking over making a small 'popping' sound from the exhaust. the popping sound is not constant just every couple of seconds. the fault is not continuous either, sometimes like today is purrs sweetly like normal and others it ticks over with a slight judder. i have also noticed this fault whilst travelling on the motorway at 70/80mph.

Does anyone know if this could be a spark plug/lead problem? its almost as though its missing one out.

As you can probably tell i'm no mechanic so any help much appreciated

cheers

Chris

:newbie:

kenney
27-11-2007, 09:44 PM
It sounds like you have a mikture problem on idle, what is the engine code,do you know if the engine has a lambda zonde?.A faulty plug or lead is easy to diagnose,drive the car about 40km in second gear and put her into top gear with full boot,if the engine judders then you have a faulty plugg or lead

sumomus_01
14-02-2008, 10:55 AM
The problem continues, i have now replaced the following:-

dizzy cap
rotor arm
spark plugs
high temp leads

the problem still exists :zx11: (although engine sounds alot sweeter).

I have a vehicle diagnostics geezer coming to check it out today, i'll keep the forum posted. I fear its the Lambda, just called GSF £46+VAT

kenney
14-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi What is your engine code

Cragus
15-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Sound like ur coil. Pop the bonnet and fire her up and see if you can hear a " clicking" sound coming from the back wall of the bay under the wipers etc. Crane yer neck in and see if there is any spark or arcing coming from ur ignition coil which should look like a grey box. If its shorting out and arcing somewhere thats ur problem. A replacement off ebay cost me £40 delivered abd its a doddle to fix. Check out my post entitled " Golf Mk3 problems and answers".
Good luck i hope this helps.

sumomus_01
19-02-2008, 02:55 PM
there are 2 air vacuum inlets above the manifold which originally had rubber stoppers on them on the driver model, on other models they were used and connected to something. The rubber stoppers has eroded over time and 1 had fallen off causing the engine to pull in excess air, causing the engine to run rough and misfire. the inlets were plugged again and she now purrs sweetly!! :D

cara_essex
19-02-2008, 11:05 PM
My sister had a similar sounding problem. When sitting stationary with the car running (even in neutral) it would judder like it was gonna cut out although never did.

Turned out to be the oxygen sensor if that helps? Not expensive, about £30 i think. It was picked up on a diagnostic scan so maybe one of those is your best bet, although Im certainly no expert!!

Hope this might have helped?!? :p

Cara x