PDA

View Full Version : Indicator/Electrical Wiring Fault?

Mattster
27-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Hi There,

I have a MK3 Golf Ryder, 5 door, 1.4 (1391cc i think) engine. I think thats all the info you need about the car, now the problem!

When i have either of the indicators selected (more than often the problem occurs with the LEFT indicator) the indicator will come on fine, untill I step on the footbrake, then the indicator will go off both internally and externally.

It is not consistant with any sort of manouver as far as i can tell. If the engine is off and no key in the ignition, if i select the left indicator, the rear (fog?) light and the front dipped light will come on.

I have been told its something to do with a dodgy ground cable in the boot some where, i've never done any sort of work with cars but wiring in general im fine doing, any ideas what the problem could be and if it IS the ground cable, where can i locate this?

Many Thanks

Matt

kenney
27-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Run a new earth wire from the bulb holders to the chassis that should sort it out for you.

kenney
27-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Forgot to say the fault usually is in the connector on the bulb holder,and the earth contact is damaged,by soldering a wire direct to the bulb holder you bypass the problem

Mattster
27-11-2007, 12:04 PM
cheers for the quick response, just to confirm a few things?

Wich side bulb holder am i looking at? (standing at the back of the veichle looking at the boot) also, am i running the new ground cable from where the existing one is on the connector? when you say "direct to the bulb holder" - where abouts should i solder the wire on the holder end?

Many many thanks for your help

kenney
27-11-2007, 08:25 PM
You dont know which side is the problem unless you see it when you pull the connector off,you can use the exsisting earth wire (brown) just clip it ad extend it about 15cm you can solder it on the body of the bulb holder,Have you ever changed a rear light bulb?