PDA

View Full Version : Mk 3 golf central locking failed

johnnie
15-09-2006, 11:01 AM
:mad: Hello everyone, pls can ayone help me, i bought a P reg Mk 3 golf diesel TDI estate (i believe that its not turbo but that another issue!) from a garage about 1 month back. Shes been great until last nite when i tried to unlock the door. The key rotates the same amount as before but without resistance and does not actuate . I had to climb through the back door (luckily i had room!) the buttons all work from inside. But i cant lock or unlock it from outside. Any suggestions. there has been a fault with the passenger lock since ive had the car the barrel just spins but as the driver lock locked the rest it was ok. Thanks :confused:

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 12:15 PM
that sounds like the locking eccentric! i.e the padel shape bit's that mount to the barrel!

MarkMk3
20-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Hello johnnie, suprapower is right.
i have had the same problem on my golf. There is a "padel" that connects the door lock with the internal mechanism. Sadly the "padel" is made from monkey metal, the padel in the internal mech is strong enough but there is only a silly little hook in the end of the door lock barrel. You will need to replace this (or make your own (I did), you must make sure that you get the correct one though as i was told that there are severla different sizes.

hope this helps,

Mark.

27motorhead
21-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Johnnie! SupraPower & MarkMK3 are right - it's yer paddle that's gone - it's a known fault on the MK3's... I did have a post several months ago on this if you do a search.

Basically go to yer VW dealer / parts garage and get a new lock barrel / paddle kit - this should cost about £15 inlcuding VAT, pretty easy to fit - A Haynes manual will help you.

One think to make sure is that you don't lose any of your tumblers / springs out of your current lock barrel, if you do that'll mean you'll need a different key for that lock (pain in the ****!) & make sure you grease the barrel / paddle / tumblers etc. up to prior to fitting to ensure smooth operation...

Pretty simple that doesn't cost too much money either - you'll just need a Torx head bit to remove the door handle - and be careful with the white plastic retaining clip that's all too easy to drop down into the door cavity - not that it does much!!!

Ta!

Tim

johnnie
22-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Cheers fellas,
I,ll give it a go and let you know!:confused:
johhnie

johnnie
16-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Well gents (i guess you all are!) I fixed the locking, even though that after this long no one has tried to get in!
Yup it was the hook broken off on the "eccentric" (doesnt look that eccentric to me!) I bought a replacement for £1.62 but i didnt change the part that the hook went into, so i had to file the hook down, not a good on such a flimsy part, so if anyone else is going to do it id suggest change the part that the hook goes into as it has been modified from the original.
The part no. on the old bit was 1 HO 837 223 and the modified part was same with a B at the end.

Well thanks again and i'll be back here if i have probs in the future (i hope not)

monty77
17-09-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi all,

Sorry to drag up the an old thread but this has just happened to the missus' mk3 golf GL. I've had the door card off and I think I can see what is described here which is that the bit of metal that connects the barrel to the mech has sheared. Access is VERY tight, how do I get better access to replace/repair the part? Is there a guide somewhere? Sounds common :(

Thanks!
Adam

MarkMk3
17-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Hello Monty77, No need to be sorry to bring up an old thread, if i can help there is no problem. I found on my golf that when i took the lock out of the door, the "padle" came out with the lock. To re-fit the lock it was possible to insert the lock back into the mechanism and then line this up with the barel.

Hope this helps, if not please feel free to reply to this and i will have another go at explaining it.

Cheers,
Mark.:biglaugh: