PDA

View Full Version : Window Blinds

james_tiger_woo
26-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Can anyone recommend some Windows Blinds for my Passat (saloon) - the generic ones from the likes of Boots won't be big enough and I'm not keen on the "WindowSox" type.

Thanks

JTW

iaint
27-11-2007, 02:15 PM
O E Sunshades

http://www.oesunshades.com/

I've got a set and while they aren't cheap (£140ish including postage and vat for the estate, about a year ago) they are excellent and I can't recommend them highly enough.

I seem to remember Eshrules trying to get a bulk buy discount from them a while ago but as I already had a set I didn't put my name forward. Does anyone know if that offer is still open?

Cheers
Iain

james_tiger_woo
27-11-2007, 04:31 PM
£140 :aargh4:

We'll see :)

iaint
28-11-2007, 09:30 AM
That's the price for the estate. I seem to recall they where £120 + vat + about £8 postage.

The set for the estate is made of 6 separate blinds, 2 for the rear windows, 2 for the side windows in luggage compartment and 2 for the back window which fit together to completely cover it.

A Saloon would only need 4 blinds as there wouldn't be the 2 for the luggage windows. A quick gestimate then would suggest a set for a saloon would be in the region of £80 (only 4 blinds, not 6) + vat and postage. Don't quote me though, I don't work for the company.

You could even ring them up and see if they'll sell you just the 2 for the rear windows and save even more, when I dealt with them they were very helpful.

Cheers
Iain

james_tiger_woo
28-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Sounds good - I've mailed them, but not had a reply yet. I think I might give them a call though as I'd like some decent fitting blinds as the generic roller ones are rubbish!

Cheers :)

james_tiger_woo
28-11-2007, 10:36 AM
A VW rear blind is only £71....

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/accessories/details?part_no=3C00064360

iaint
28-11-2007, 10:47 AM
If it's just the rear blind you want then that's possibly your best option, I wanted them for the side windows mainly as I have kids in the back and the generic ones always let the sun through somewhere. The full set I eventually bought also benefit the dog.

I did ask VW about the side window blinds which roll down into the door when not in use but they are a factory only option and you must specify them when ordering the car, they can't be fitted afterwards. These as an extra were about £75 at the time. So if I had got those fitted AND bought a rear blind, I would have spent more than I have and I'd still have no blinds for the side windows over the luggage compartment.

Cheers
Iain

james_tiger_woo
28-11-2007, 02:32 PM
It's the full set, but I can get the VW rear blind for £60 and I want some side ones for my 2 children (well, 2nd on it's way)....

I might look around and I'll probably end up ordering a set - or getting the windows tinted.

iaint
28-11-2007, 03:27 PM
or getting the windows tinted.

By all means do your research into this thouroughly. I will say that I looked into getting the windows tinted before I looked into blinds. If you want windows tinted by a reputable company who will do a decent job then you may find that the blinds start to look like a bargain.

I looked into all these options before opting for blinds myself.

Good luck with your search.
Iain

james_tiger_woo
14-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Sorry to ressurect this, but I've not got any blinds yet and tints are a no-no. The OE Sunshades are really expensive...

I can, however, get the rear blind at cost (a friend of mine is a VW salesman) so it's just the side windows i'm after - anyone got any further (recent) ideas?

JTW

Black
14-03-2008, 10:35 PM
probably not much help to you but anyone reading this about to order a Passat go for the factory blinds, I have them and they are well worth the purchase price.

aaman
14-03-2008, 10:55 PM
If it's just the rear blind you want then that's possibly your best option, I wanted them for the side windows mainly as I have kids in the back and the generic ones always let the sun through somewhere. The full set I eventually bought also benefit the dog.

I did ask VW about the side window blinds which roll down into the door when not in use but they are a factory only option and you must specify them when ordering the car, they can't be fitted afterwards. These as an extra were about £75 at the time. So if I had got those fitted AND bought a rear blind, I would have spent more than I have and I'd still have no blinds for the side windows over the luggage compartment.

Cheers
Iain

you can get the blinds that roll into the door trims but its a new trim which comes with the blind .i asked my local dealer the cost is around £160 each

james_tiger_woo
15-03-2008, 03:00 AM
probably not much help to you but anyone reading this about to order a Passat go for the factory blinds, I have them and they are well worth the purchase price.

No, it's not but good advice :biglaugh:

I might end up going for the oe sunshades as the only alternative are "Windowsox" which I'm not keen on as I've had a set for my Leon....

http://www.windowsox.co.uk/images/6.jpg

crox
16-03-2008, 12:18 AM
this is an interesting one for me too, Mrs Crox and I are expecting our first on Monday, so need to start looking at blinds too. £140 does seem a little steep, especially as I have the estate, so if there are any others going that people recommend then I am all for it.

djsky
17-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Can anyone recommend reputable companies that do window tint? I'm "Very" particular about who so much as looks at my car, let alone starts ripping door panels off etc...

Black
20-03-2008, 11:46 PM
We have the factory tint but even so you really need the blinds to stop grouchy babies in strong sunlight.

james_tiger_woo
21-03-2008, 12:18 AM
We have the factory tint but even so you really need the blinds to stop grouchy babies in strong sunlight.

Useful to know, thanks.

I suspect I'll be going with the OE sunshades though....

crox
15-04-2008, 09:09 PM
James, let me know ... I am now in the market for them too ... my 17 day old son hasn't complained yet but don't want to risk it, especially as we will do a lot of travelling upto Norfolk.

That said, his first trip over the weekend went well, something about babies, driving and fall asleep!!

james_tiger_woo
15-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Still not found I'm afraid - I might go with the WindowSox TBH.......

crox
16-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Still not found I'm afraid - I might go with the WindowSox TBH.......

£140 is a lot of money ... especially as most of mine is now taken up in nappies and formula ... especially as it will only be used for what 5 days a year?

hhmm, let us know? I have the tinted windows jobby so at least that helps, but thinking that given the height of summer (if we EVER get one), I will need to invest.

Hillsy
16-04-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't suppose VW do a retrofit on built in blinds to the doors do they? I have them on mine and are a god send.

james_tiger_woo
16-04-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't think so as don't the OEM blinds fit inside the doors?