PDA

View Full Version : major service on 2.4 AAB engine, technical advice needed

dangerrous
26-11-2007, 09:24 AM
I have been building petrol engines for years and had to do a major service on my T4.
Hydraulic lifters (buckets)
Camshaft and crankshaft oil seals
Glow plugs
Cambelt, pump belt, accessory belt
all filters

My problem is
To replace the cam oil seal I had to disturb the preset camshaft timing (sprocket to cam alignmnet).
To Change the glow plugs I disturbed the diesel pump timing

The parts have been refitted as per the Brooklands owner manual, but it doesn't give the cam degree timing for me to accurately time up the engine, I marked up all the components but it seems not well enough , as the engine has the destinctive diesel knock when running, prior it was almost as quiet as a petrol engine.
Does anyone have the cam timing specs etc for an AAb engine?
Regards
Darren

carbon
26-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Hi Darren

There were in VW's wisdom two slightly different AAB engines one where the water pump tensioned the cam belt and one with a separate belt tensioner. I don’t have the instructions on how to tension the belt but I’ll try to attach the instructions for the timing to a PM to you, as this was the same on both versions.

dangerrous
27-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Cheers guys, I've had a lot of response from this topic,
All saying the same thing.
The timing is sorted, my background of race engines made me think too hard about degreeing in cams.
1)Basically line the crank up to the tdc mark on the flywheel
2)Lock the cam in with the setting bar (made that up in the workshop)
3)Lock up diesel pump with a 15mm pin (I found a long reach socket for the job)
4)Loosen front cam bolt and tap the sprocket with a drifter to knock it off the taper lock
5) locate the cam belt on the toothed pulleys, and tension up with the cam idler/tensioner
6)Once all marks line up, tighten up front cam sprocket. Release all locks
7) Turn crank two full revolutions and determine all pins and marks line up.
8) Setting the diesel pump with the vernier will be my next step, although I haven't touched it's (new dot marks matched up) timing, but I have a description for this operation aswell. Again thanks

ps used new crankshaft pulley bolts.
:biglaugh: :beerchug: