PDA

View Full Version : Climatronic wont work unless its cold

guido75
25-11-2007, 08:49 PM
My blower on my climatronic display shows an error when the car starts up and when it clears the blower doesnt blow.

I get the following error message on VAGCOM 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2).

The only time it does work is when its really cold -1/2/3/ like it was on saturday. At that point the error message was clear.

I've tried clearing the error but it comes back again.

Anyone got any clues what I can do to resolve it?

Thanks

g

kenney
25-11-2007, 10:08 PM
It would seem you only have one choice,change the fresh air blower.You could remove it and disconnect the control unit from the blower,try running it direct from the battery,

guido75
25-11-2007, 10:15 PM
thanks for the info - how much does that usually cost from a garage? can i get one from a scrapyard and replace myself or is it a garage job?

kenney
25-11-2007, 10:42 PM
It is not a difficult job,you remove the passengers stowage compartment, to get to the unit and ther are 3 skrews holding it in place.the reason i said to check the blower it might be running tight in the bushes and if you are lucky a drop of oil might do the job

guido75
27-11-2007, 10:13 PM
i will give it a go at the weekend and then let you know how i get on.

evobaz
28-11-2007, 02:41 PM
I had a similar problem with my blower on my 2000 Passat Tdi. The heater / blower would only work intermittantly. I didn't notice if this was temperature related though.

Removed glovebox, removed blower , checked the brushes and found they were badly worn. I replaced them with a new set (see below) and all is now working again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190177135801&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=009#ebayphotohosting

guido75
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
i have got the glovebox out and unscrewed the blower housing but I am struggling to get it out passed the air bag. do i need to remove airbag as this post suggests?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19756&highlight=air+blower+airbag

evobaz
02-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I managed to get the blower motor out without removing the airbag. I took the passanger side airbag mounting bracket off. This is only held on by 4 10mm bolts. They're a wee bit of a fiddle to get out but once the bracket is off i managed to move the airbag enough to get the motor out. You'll need a small 10mm spanner to get the bolts out as there's not enough room to use a ratchet/socket

guido75
02-12-2007, 04:50 PM
i got the airbag out. you were right about it being a bit fiddly. i managed to get a ratchet with an extender to make it easier. i dont know how you did it with a spanner.

on the motor how do you get the casing open to get to the bushes?

thanks for you help with this.

evobaz
02-12-2007, 05:06 PM
There are 3 small black rubber stoppers. Press these in with a screwdriver or similar to remove the motor from the housing. The motor is attached with 2 wires so it will not come off altogether. It come off enough to check/replace the brushes.

The new brushes can be soldered in place or you can fit them without the need for soldering.

(be careful not to lose the spring because it will ping out when you take the silver cover off)

What I done was pull out the old brushes and file the worn end flat. I then took the new brushes (see ebay link) and cut off the end with the copper wire. and file this end flat. insert the new brush and then insert the old brush behind it, replace the spring and then refit the silver clip.

I filed the ends of the brushes so that they "butt" against each other and have good contact. They are easy to file because the carbon is soft.

If you need anymore info just ask.

Baz