PDA

View Full Version : Service Cost

thatch
25-11-2007, 07:54 PM
My Passat 2.0 TDI has just pinged at me for a service.
It's just doe 18,000 miles and is set to long life servicing.

Can anyone give us an estimate on the service cost assuming that it is going to be kept on long life servicing?

Cheers.

Quatrelle
25-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Don't know how they do it in the UK, but I picked up a VW booklet from my dealer giving all service costs for all VWs.

For the Passat it says 220€ using synthetic oil (=long life?) but I'm guessing that it's cheaper in France. I'll be booking mine in on Tuesday for early December for the same thing.

Stuart W
26-11-2007, 04:42 AM
My first service (at 19k) cost around £180 (in Scotland)

The second one (at 37k) was only slightly dearer (£190?) but this included the service inspection (suspension, steering etc).

The first one was dear for what was really little more than an oil change (albeit longlife oil), but the second one wasn't as much as I thought it could be.

At 45k that's all I've spent on the car apart from a couple of front tyres (£100 each) and £30 or so to top up the oil, so it could be worse.:D It shouldn't need any more expenditure until well over 50k, unless the brake pads wear out.

Pity about the noisy rear tyres though:aargh4:

Santana
26-11-2007, 06:54 PM
At 45k ..... £30 or so to top up the oil,

I've just put my second litre in at 5200 miles. At this rate at 45k I will have used 17 litres which at, say, £13 per litre = £221!
I'm wondering if I have a problem. I'm spending 0.5p on oil for every mile I drive.

Quatrelle
26-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I've just put my second litre in at 5200 miles. At this rate at 45k I will have used 17 litres which at, say, £13 per litre = £221!
I'm wondering if I have a problem. I'm spending 0.5p on oil for every mile I drive.I recall in an earlier thread that you said you were using a lot of oil. How far from Dover are you? - at that price it might be worth doing an 'oil' cruise. :(

Stuart W
26-11-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm wondering if I have a problem. I'm spending 0.5p on oil for every mile I drive.

I think I used two litres until my first service at 19k then one litre until my second service at 37k. It seemed to burn most between 5k and 10k, and then started to use less, which I think is consistent with the bedding in process.

Yours should improve, but it does seem to be burning a lot - I don't think I put any in at all until well past 5k.

Of course, with the over-designed dipstick it's hard to keep proper track of oil consumption.