PDA

View Full Version : Pre Delivery cleaning of your Eos and care of roof seals

pjgraham86
14-09-2006, 01:11 PM
I have read on the vwvortex forum and on uk-mkivs forum that a lot of owners don't want their dealers to valet their cars before delivery as it could lead to scratching (if they use sponges with grit etc in them - from the last car they washed!) and to the dreaded swirl marks.

As regards the Eos I certainly wouldn't want them to jet wash the roof but I'm not sure what else to say to the dealer about what I want them to do when it arrives (probably not till Jan 07) - you want to take delivery of a clean car but not one that is scratched or has swirl marks. Do any of you owners out there have any other thoughts on the subject?

Also - I noticed that according to some owners there is a recommended(but expensive) treatment whcih can be applied to the roof seals to prevent them from turning white and streaky and to prolong life. Anyone know what the handbook says (if anything) about care of seals - and I suppose general cleaning ? One forum poster said that the Golf handbook says not to use sponges for example.

Cheers

PJG

Trikster
02-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Can't comment on the quality of specific dealer valets - mine was fine, and all the other cars I've had I've let the dealer do the first clean. If your car is black you'll get swirl marks whoever cleans it, unless you're preparred to spend hours each time you clean it.

Regarding the jet wash of the roof - as long as you don't force it on the seals themselves you should have no problems - I take mine through a (good quality) car wash between valets and no problems at all - theres no difference between the sealing around the roof and that around a window on a 'normal' car .. now if it were a 10 yr old normal convertible then I'd be more worried!

davidp
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Can't comment on the quality of specific dealer valets - mine was fine, and all the other cars I've had I've let the dealer do the first clean. If your car is black you'll get swirl marks whoever cleans it, unless you're preparred to spend hours each time you clean it.

Regarding the jet wash of the roof - as long as you don't force it on the seals themselves you should have no problems - I take mine through a (good quality) car wash between valets and no problems at all - theres no difference between the sealing around the roof and that around a window on a 'normal' car .. now if it were a 10 yr old normal convertible then I'd be more worried!
Glad to hear you say that as I hate washing cars and prefer to use a car wash but I was concerned about the roof seals.

Anyone out there got a diesel eos by the way? How nippy is it as its 0-60 seems a little slow at 10.4secs.
I have driven the 200bhp petrol EOS which odly enough, though very smooth, didnt seem that quick so I fear that the diesel may seem slow as the EOS is quite heavy.
I have a 150bhp seat leon cupra diesel at the mo which seems very quick.
cheers.

mandh22222
03-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Six weeks ago I changed my Golf GT Tdi 150 for a diesel Eos Sport. Lower speed acceleration is definately not quite as good, but as you approach higher speeds 70-90, then boot it, theres really not much difference. Having said that its certainly no slouch and I'm getting nearly 50 mpg too. Exclusive or what ? In 6 weeks I've only seen one other Eos on the road, it gets admiring glances everywhere ! Well pleased so far. And the handling is actually better than the Golfs was, it feels rather like a go cart on corners.

davidp
03-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Six weeks ago I changed my Golf GT Tdi 150 for a diesel Eos Sport. Lower speed acceleration is definately not quite as good, but as you approach higher speeds 70-90, then boot it, theres really not much difference. Having said that its certainly no slouch and I'm getting nearly 50 mpg too. Exclusive or what ? In 6 weeks I've only seen one other Eos on the road, it gets admiring glances everywhere ! Well pleased so far. And the handling is actually better than the Golfs was, it feels rather like a go cart on corners.
Ooh! 50mpg thats good to know, think I well may take the plunge. I can always get the engine remapped to produce more power if need be. The boot doesnt look that bad compared to the golf or leon either and there's always the back seat. I need a tow bar to tow my racing dinghy though but that shouldnt be an issue.
Cheers.