PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fan won't turn off!

roba75
13-09-2006, 09:46 PM
:1zhelp: Hi there, was looking for some pointers. I returned to my car today after work and the battery was flat:confused: :zx11: so called on the AA to charge it.

Turns out that the fan didn't switch itself off and is stuck on, at the highest speed I think.

I think it's the relay or switch but can't find it on the car? :1zhelp:
Has anyone else had a similar experience or know where to look first for the relay/switch?

The Haynes manual is no help as only shows the location of the ABS relay in engine bay.

Thank for reading

stuart
13-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Hi

I would try the switch first. This should be located in the radiator, a brass switch wit 2 or 3 wires going to it. Not sure there is a relay for the fan, but if there is, it will be in the main fuse box/relay box I would think.

Stuart

Huweth
14-09-2006, 12:37 AM
In the meantime, before you fix it, you might be able to unplug the fan power where it joins the fan itself. My MK1 golf had a faulty switch and used to drain the battery, so I unplugged it for a while. Just remember to watch you temperature if your stuck in traffic!!!
You could of course only unplug it when you leave the car, and plug it back in before you drive off...

roba75
14-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Thanks Stuart and Huweth - Unfortunately it's not the thermostat switch in the radiator :( - But ackording to the Haynes manual there are a few switches for this model with climate (Not like my scirocco - they were easy to fix!).

Am disconnecting the battery when I'm getting out at the moment as think it could be the the control module or the bit of the ECU that controls the Climate control :mad: ThinkI'm going to take her to the main dealer as can't find the relay for the fan.:confused:

And when I filled up today at the petrol station I think people thought I was hot wiring it .......

Thanks again

jawbone78
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
I am having the same trouble with my 2004 VW New Beetle.

Did you ever figure out exactly what the problem was? The thermostat? A relay?

roba75
09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
I am having the same trouble with my 2004 VW New Beetle.

Did you ever figure out exactly what the problem was? The thermostat? A relay?

Hi Jawbone78, yes it was the relay. In the Audi it was situated under/beside the battery. I worked out you could just hit it and would turn off. The relay cost about £100 from the dealer. sorry i don't know where it would be on the Bug, but maybe similar position.

I ended up trading the A3 for a Leon Cupra, more fun:biglaugh:

jawbone78
11-11-2007, 03:38 AM
I talked to a VW service person by phone and he said that the problem is probably the "ECT Module" located with the Radiator Fan. $200 (USD)

I live in American Samoa, so I'm going to get one shipped down. Any idea where I can by a service manual for a VW?

roba75
11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Hi I had a quick search and found the american site for Haynes, this should be the one for your Beetle

http://www.haynes.com/products/sfID1/3/sfID2/5/sfID3/67/productID/231

I figure the shipping would be lesst than the British website.

Good luck - I think the module will fix it for you. ;)

bballarin
14-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi jawbone, don't confuse:

- the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor. It is mounted on a plastic flange at the end of the cylinder head. http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/New%20Beetle/Cooling/181/6

- the electrical Fan Control Module, it is attached to the frame, deep below the battery, close to the bottom left side of the radiator but not attached to the radiator. You can see it only from underneath the car. It has 10 or 14 connectors with as many wires attached to it, so when you find it you can't mix it up with any other thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-AUX-FAN-CONTROL-UNIT-VW-GOLF-JETTA-BEETLE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ011QQi temZ320152695458QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V