PDA

View Full Version : Stalled and oil presure warning.

chegers
24-11-2007, 01:45 AM
I bought my mk2 driver today and got it all the way home and it was a dream.
Sometimes could be a tad hesitant and lumpy when idling but what can you expect from a car of this age.

The one thing i am worried about though is the fact when i left it outside my mates house running the engine was ticking over and got lumpier and lumpier untill it stalled.
At this point the oil presure gauge light started flashing.
I have checked the oil and it is all fine.
The car is also running very rich even after a half hour motorway drive.

So i belive this problem could be the carb needing tuning but i could be wrong.
When i turn the ignition on the oil presure gauge light flashes but when i start the engine it goes out.

Can anyone help shed some light on this please?

Regards

Oddball
24-11-2007, 02:12 AM
The oil pressure light normally blinks when you turn the ignition on. This is because the oil pump is driven by the engine. It won't build up pressure until you fire the engine up.

I'm guessing the car still has it's original pierberg carb. These are fine when they're fine, and a b*tch when they're not. A good choice would be a Weber 32/34 DMTL carb, comes in a kit, and just bolts right on.

Did it cut out at all when you stopped at junctions? Or any other time?

tech1
24-11-2007, 02:21 AM
hi mate,does the engine re-start ok?or does it take a few turns to re-start? check basics like vacuum hoses,brake servo pipe,dampness in the disy cap,spark plugs,leads,etc...don't asume carb fault until you check basics...need more info..

chegers
24-11-2007, 02:43 AM
I have not checked basics yet but i will do on sunday when i am home.
I have noticed when accelerating there is a rattle sound coming from the engine i belive this could be water / oil pump.

The car has not stalled at junctions at all but can generally be lumpy.
How much dollar am i looking at for a webber carb?

Regards