PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf TDI Problem

Edos
13-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Hi all.

I have a 2001 Golf TDi which has been great until the last week.

Within 3 miles of a new journeys from cold, the car loses power (often on switch between 3rd & 4th). The traction control (ASR) light on the dash comes on and it is impossible to accelerate until the car is re-started.

On restart the car is fine again and on most occasions the problem does not come back until the next cold start.

My local workshop have put their diagnostics on it which has returned error code '18074-valve from pump cylinder 1 electrical problem in circuit'. They have told me to take the car back, see if it happens again and if so I will need a new injector.

Does this sound familiar to anyone and is it a plausible solution?

Many thanks for any advice!

soldendorp
14-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi

This sounds similar to my problem (same model golf & year). Mine did start doing that but has now escalated juddering and shaking. It is interesting though as my golf had a new pump and injector fitted in 2004 but I now have a misfire on cyclinder number 1. Don't know the answer sorry: I have just posted a thread myself today. If you resolve the problem could you please let me know and vice versa?

Thanks

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 11:11 AM
My local workshop have put their diagnostics on it which has returned error code '18074-valve from pump cylinder 1 electrical problem in circuit'. They have told me to take the car back, see if it happens again and if so I will need a new injector.

:***:

Common mistake on the garages part, You should try the injector wiring harness that lives beneath the rocker cover and feeds the signals to the injector units. The injectors themselves are bomb proof and almost never go wrong however the wiring lives in a harsh enviroment and will sporadically have a high resistance bringing up the fault you mention. ( wiring £60/Injector£600) its up to you!?!

Edos
19-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks - will suggest this as the car is going back in tomorrow.

greas-E-monkey
19-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Common mistake on the garages part, You should try the injector wiring harness that lives beneath the rocker cover and feeds the signals to the injector units. The injectors themselves are bomb proof and almost never go wrong however the wiring lives in a harsh enviroment and will sporadically have a high resistance bringing up the fault you mention. ( wiring £60/Injector£600) its up to you!?!

How can you be so sure?!, I have seen an injector unit fail, the rocker arms also crack on these engines causing similair faults as mentioned, who made you an expert ?

Vagnum
20-09-2006, 09:05 AM
who made you an expert ?[/quote]

THE SAME PEOPLE WHO MADE YOU AN EXPERT!:zx11:

Vagnum
20-09-2006, 10:00 AM
and it's a eletrical fault in circuit

error code '18074-valve from pump cylinder 1 electrical problem in circuit'.

:biglaugh: lol!

greas-E-monkey
20-09-2006, 10:05 AM
sorry I seem to of upset you somehow. What I am trying to say is the problem could be any number of things and that all avenues should be explored. Whilst changing the injector wiring harness there is no harm in visually inspecting the rocker arms that provide the compression for the unit injectors. Obviuosly you will be unable to check injector failure without removing them and testing them at a reputable boshe service agent. No hard feelings
:beerchug:

golf tdi 02
09-03-2007, 02:54 PM
if i can help you then giz a e-mail richardjones6902@hotmail.co.uk
i bought a golf tdi 2002 reg i thought i would not have to touch under the bonnet but that only lasted 4 mths then problems it started missing i can help drop me a line rich

golf tdi 02
09-03-2007, 03:12 PM
you do no your stuff thanks for pointing me in the right direction my golf had a missfire def not injector they are bullit proof many thanks
oh i have to dissagree that vw.s do go fast mk2 golf 16v standard pushing 155.160 mph

Eshrules
10-03-2007, 12:41 PM

How can you be so sure?!, I have seen an injector unit fail, the rocker arms also crack on these engines causing similair faults as mentioned, who made you an expert ?

who made you an expert ?

THE SAME PEOPLE WHO MADE YOU AN EXPERT!:zx11:[/quote]

thankfully, the OP seems to have solved his problem, perhaps a little more manners, a little less abruptness and trying to help the OP may be better in future....

end of the day, the forum is here to help people, nobody is considered any better than the other on here... everybody is entitled to an opinion and as such we should all respect each others right to express that opinion...

try to get along... this is an online community after all and behavior like this just discourages potential new members

**thread reported**

Cara2007
12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
This is exactly the same problem as what Im getting! Glad im not the only one, its starting to get me down.

So what was the final outcome then? What work had to be done?

golf tdi 02
14-04-2007, 11:21 AM
try to look at the wireing on top of injectors if they are loose crimp tight and put back on try and see how it goes if it was this then recomend to change harness around 37 quid to trade ...sorted..:beerchug:

ClancyJP
18-04-2007, 07:00 PM
after taking excellent advice from 'gt tdi 02' and removing the rocker cover, i was able to check the connnections on the wiring harness that attaches to the fuel injectors, as a leyman i couldnt work out how to take the wiring off however i did manage to tighten the wiring by pushing them down with a screwdriver, overall i believe it was just a loose connection.

i started the car and the dreaded esp light came on an the car was misfiring so i turned the ignition off and started the car with my foot firmly on the accelerator and over revving the engine, the light disappeared and hasnt appeared since and i can now enjoy driving again!

if it was to come back im pretty sure it would only be down to the connection rather than the injector! thanks to all , espically Richie (gt tdi 02) 500quid saved!

Cara2007
19-04-2007, 09:28 AM
oK, I decided to change the MAF sensor as a first option. Had a horrible time after it was changed - Misfiring quite badly and stalling . Anyway disconnected the battery and it runs lovely now apart from an airbag fauilt warning now.......however, my asr light still comes on (only from cold) so going to be checking the wiring tonight, I hope this works, if not Im sellling the car!! :zx11: :zx11: :zx11:

golf tdi 02
23-06-2007, 02:12 PM
cara did you manage to sort this prob out:confused:

Cara2007
23-06-2007, 07:02 PM
cara did you manage to sort this prob out:confused:

Yeah, it turned out to be my injector wiring. It had come loose, dont know how its connected to the asr but not had any problems with that since :D

now just got to sort out all the other hundreds of problems :(

golf tdi 02
25-06-2007, 09:52 AM
im very glad that you stuck with the golf and managed to sort the probs out
well done ;)
so whats next then ;)

Cara2007
26-06-2007, 12:10 AM
aw thanx mate :D I was very close to getting rid! Next plan for me...... would be to fix the speed sensor and boost leak then I will be very very happy, then the remap :)

skr80
31-07-2007, 06:46 PM
could anyone advise as to where to get the injector wiring harness from please (for a 2003 passat 100 tdi)

thanks

TheEqualizer
31-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Hello Chaps - First Post so be nice!

Have a Golf MK4 GT TDI 150Bhp which has now blown exhaust valve through cylinder and pretty much wrecked the engine! As a back story the car was showing signs of problems 3-4 weeks beforehand, lots of smoke, running rough, hesitant etc etc which Garage took a look at, but after plugging in diagnostics didn't find any problems! Would you say that this is rather co-incidental and symptomatic of problems described above for the engine to self implode 4 weeks later?

Anyway now looking for a recon engine, do you have any recommendations or advice? Quote so far from same garage is £3k which i think is excessive

Many thanks