PDA

View Full Version : Replacing coolant on Mk3 1.8 Driver Engine Code ABS

ozzie252
23-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi,

How would I go about flushing the coolant system? I need to put some antifreeze in there now the weater is getting colder - it's had just water in previously.

I gave it a go today - unclipped the small pipe that goes back into the plastic ball where you top up the water and let it all drain out of there.

Didn't seem that much. Ran the engine to force the water pump into action and made sure it was all out. Then fastened the pipe back up.

The instructions on the anti-freeze/coolant said to flush coolant system then put in 1.5 litres of water. Then put in correct ratio of coolant, then top up to fill level with water. So as I was putting in 1.5 ltrs, it came up to the fill line after about 1 ltr. I checked that there was no air in any of the pipes but that is all it would take.

Am I missing something - I am a complete newbie when it comes to cars, although I do like to try.

I think I'm why the phrase was invented: "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Also - what is the capacity of the coolant system so I can work out the ratio correctly?

Can you help me out guys?

Cheers.

kenney
23-11-2007, 08:33 PM
remove the bottom radiator hose is the best way,if you put in 2-2.5lt anti freeze you are on the safe side and at the same time the anti freeze helps keep the coolant system clean.