PDA

View Full Version : Bora Central Locking Probs!!

DiverDave
13-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi, i have a small problem with my remote central locking on my 'W' Reg Bora.

To start with, the 'door locking' button inside the car locks all doors when pressing it, however the front passenger immediately unlocks. Ive tried manually pushing the knob down but every time i try the button, the passenger door fails to stay in the locked position. Not a major problem i know, but its bugging me!

Finally, when i get out and lock my car using the remote, the car locks but the indicators fail to flash. The alarm light on the drivers door is flashing however. If i then press to open just the drivers door via the remote, the indicators flash to confirm and if i don't open any doors and lock it again via remote, the indicators confirm that the doors are locked.

Does anyone have any idea why the indicators don't flash in the first instance and does it mean the car isn't alarmed?? Would like to state that when the indicators don't flash, i have tried all the doors and boot and they are locked.

Hope someone can help! :beerchug:

Snowdance38
14-09-2006, 01:21 AM
All of the locks have a micro switch inside.. That tells it if the lock is locked or open.. Odds are one of them is not working.. So the car does not know if the door is open or closed.. I just went thru that with my 2002 Jetta/Bora 2.0 wagon.. Lucky it was fixed by the dealer..

Snowdance38
15-09-2006, 02:41 AM
Seems I was half right on my last post.. Guess there are two micro switches in the lock.. One to tell if the door is closed and one to tell if its locked.. Eather way one of the switches is not working .. Perhaps with a little time you can tell whitch lock.. I guess you need to remove the lock to work on it.. I have heard the switches can be replaced.. But I have never seen one of the locks or switches.. I did try to get a look at the lock they replaced in my drivers door on my 2002 Jetta/Bora wagon.. But the place got busy so I did not get to see it.. Would be intresting to see one and see if the micro switch can be replaced with out buying the whole new lock..

DiverDave
17-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Hmmm, looks like im going to have to do some investigating or take it to a garage as it's still under warranty, problem is, i just don't trust them!!

Well either way, i will give it a go and post the feedback on any findings i get! Thanks for your advice.

Vagnum
19-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Hmmm, looks like im going to have to do some investigating or take it to a garage as it's still under warranty, problem is, i just don't trust them!!

Well either way, i will give it a go and post the feedback on any findings i get! Thanks for your advice.

why don't you trust them? it sound's like a job for the dream team! greas-E-monkey where are you!

DiverDave
20-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Past experiences have made me not trust garages, but maybe i could give them a go. And if they break something they get to replace it and i guess its still under warranty.

Why do you ask why i dont trust garages?? Do you have any idea what my central locking problem could be caused by?

Hoping to get the car looked at this weekend so will post my results asap!

Vagnum
21-09-2006, 12:57 PM
the swithches can't be replace in the latch is a sealed unit but i would said that would be the fault!
what's your nearest vw dealer?

DiverDave
22-09-2006, 04:21 PM
My local VW garage is Listers VW in Worcester. I called them today, they said they will need to run a diagnostic check with an hours labour which will set me back £105, and thats without rectifying the fault!!

Annoyingly they wont deal directly with the company that has given my warranty on my car, so i will have to pay for all work and then try and claim the money back, not too keen on that idea!

Do you have any idea how much a lock is and how hard they are to replace??

Thanks,
Dave.

Vagnum
22-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Annoyingly they wont deal directly with the company that has given my warranty on my car, so i will have to pay for all work and then try and claim the money back, not too keen on that idea!

yes that sounds right!

the locks about £75 from vw the window regulator has to remove to get to it it's about 1 and 1/2 hour to do!

i would phone the warranty company first to make sure it's covered as some only cover limited parts!

bryandon1
23-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Managed to speak to a guy who works for a VW garage. He is going to look at my car next Saturday. He told me that it rarely occurs
but it is a spring in the door mechanism. A sectret is to bang the door hadle and lock and keep pulling on the handle to see if it releases. Unfortunately this did not work.
The sectret is to get a small but long screwdriver and start banging away at the mechanism until it breaks up.

They cost £75 + VAT from the dealers. I will have a second hand passanger 3 door on Monday. I rushed an ebay purchase and bought
a 3dr passanger instead of a drivers. Bummer :0) but life.

Also was told that most people forget to attach the bar or the cable to the latch.

Did you manage to resolve your locked door?
Got it with a Mk 4 golf, the problem is that it is a 3dr and it is the drivers door...!!;)
---End Quote---

I got the door unlocked by doing what someone else did with an Audi:

Dismantle the door on the other side, see how that one works and measure the lock to see where the deadlocking paddle sits, then drill a hole in the broken door and on into the lock unit to manually release the deadlock.

I am currently using the door manually so have not taken the lock out to see what is broken BUT now I am further down the road with the problem, I realise that it may not be the lock that is at fault but rather the electronic control unit which is part of the door 'carrier' assembly. I believe that the control unit is attached to the electric window motor assembly.

I would suggest you try swapping the door carrier before drilling holes in your car! But I think that the master control unit is on the drivers door, so you cannot rig the carrier from the other door across, you will need a spare from a breakers.

I am planning on taking my door lock out tomorrow and will post any resolution/progress.
Hi, i have a small problem with my remote central locking on my 'W' Reg Bora.

To start with, the 'door locking' button inside the car locks all doors when pressing it, however the front passenger immediately unlocks. Ive tried manually pushing the knob down but every time i try the button, the passenger door fails to stay in the locked position. Not a major problem i know, but its bugging me!

Finally, when i get out and lock my car using the remote, the car locks but the indicators fail to flash. The alarm light on the drivers door is flashing however. If i then press to open just the drivers door via the remote, the indicators flash to confirm and if i don't open any doors and lock it again via remote, the indicators confirm that the doors are locked.

Does anyone have any idea why the indicators don't flash in the first instance and does it mean the car isn't alarmed?? Would like to state that when the indicators don't flash, i have tried all the doors and boot and they are locked.

Hope someone can help! :beerchug: