PDA

View Full Version : Buying a high mileage GT TDi - worth it?

BigDavey
23-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Folks,

I'm looking at an '04 GT Sport TDi with 76k miles on the clock. The only thing that I'm unsure of is the market value. It's priced at £8600, which according to the (Parkers) price guides would place it in 'poor' condition. I've had a look at the Autotrader site and same-specced cars with not too different mileage are going in and around that price...

My real question is - is the fact that it's a high-mileage ex-lease car (1 owner full VWSH) a reason to leave it, or all things being equal should it be a safe enough investment? My budget is no more than 9k...

Thanks in advance!

Ben
23-11-2007, 12:28 PM
it depends on your viewpoint, lease cars may have had a better service regime, but as the user is well aware, its not theirs so they may thrash it all the time.

test drive it, see how it feels and look through all the paperwork.

then go to a dealer and test a different one.

compare and contrast.

overall, a good car for not alot of £££££ compared to others that are out there.

BigDavey
23-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the info - It's as much determining what I have to look out for. The other 'caveat' is that it's a small independent dealer, so I was considering taking a 3rd party warranty out on it, at least to provide some peace of mind for the first couple of months. Any experience of those?