PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 Gt Tdi Turbo Noises???????

mickymunn
22-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi all, just looking at buying an 04 2.0 GT TDI from a VW dealers, really like the car has all the extra's and only 28,000 on the clock but have a question id really like help with please.

I've never owned a car with a turbo before and dont think ive been in many that have, but i took this one out for a test drive the other day and i know that turbo's make whistling noises but im not sure when they are supposed to.

When i was driving this one it seemed to make a noise when i think i took my foot off the gas or either when i gently put my foot back on the gas (cant remember now) http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
The noise was a kinda whistle kinda squeak (dest way i can describe) but it wasnt loud as was trying to listen hard for any noises when out on the test drive.
I mentioned this to the sales guy and he said that it was just the turbo. Then next day he called and told me the mechanic's had checked it out and said it was fine, just the turbo and that some you can hear slightly and some you cant.

Sorry for the long post guys but can any of you guys gimme some peace of mind that it all sounds ok? looking to pick it up next week and im v excited about it. Its a VW dealer so it comes with 12 months warranty

Thanks

a8 tech
22-11-2007, 10:23 PM
This not ok,the turbo vanes are fouling the turbo casing and causing the noise.This is common and requires a new turbo.If it fails it fails on the exhaust side and rarely dmages the engine but if it fails on the intake side the damage is terminal and a new engine will be required.

mickymunn
23-11-2007, 12:06 AM
So VW are not telling me the truth then? as they are saying this turbo is fine?

a8 tech
23-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Not telling lies but also not really dealing with the issue correctly.As i said there have been a few turbo faults and some have been noise related but no power loss or signs of oil supply problems.I have heard these noises and replaced the turbos for a squeeky noise that seemed to be from a split impellor.Ask vw to compare with a like for like car and if there is a noticable differance then push for a new turbo.When i said the impellor was fouling the turbo housing i was incorrect,as it is more of a hairline split to the impellor blade.Anyway the dealer needs to replace or reasure you.

Davieboy
27-11-2007, 07:37 PM
hey lad,
i have a gt tdi 140 , when the turbo spools up around 1750 to 200 rpm, its coming on to full boost, if you lift off the throttle then you hear it dumping. it makes that squeeking sound that you are on about, so it is perfectly normal.It is now louder on my one as i have added a cold air induction kit and had a superchips remap