PDA

View Full Version : tdi egr

passatmick
22-11-2007, 09:58 PM
just a query really whats the deal with the egr valve i hear that it is what causes black smoke and clogs the engine with thick sludge so what would be the problem if i remove it?

kenney
22-11-2007, 11:50 PM
It depends on the engine,what is the engine code

passatmick
24-11-2007, 06:10 PM
It depends on the engine,what is the engine code

pass i havent got a clue lol but its a late 2003 tdi130

Crasher
24-11-2007, 06:38 PM
On a PD TDI, leave it alone.

passatmick
24-03-2012, 02:36 PM
just bringing this up again

i have been looking into this again and the general opinion is to either blank it or fit an allard pipe so what is the general opinion on here

martin1810
24-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Blanking or removing the EGR is not a good idea with a PD tdi. You can get away with it on some early models but many models will put the engine fault warning light on and store a code for EGR fault.
The easy way to find out is to pull off the vacuum actuator pipe for the EGR and block the pipe with a bolt. (the vacuum pipe, not the bit of pipe on the egr). If after a few thousand miles you have the engine light on, you know you shouldn't remove or blank the EGR on your car.

Crasher
24-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Leave it alone...

passatmick
24-03-2012, 09:47 PM
ok thanks all i can do then is strip it and clean it all up as the car isnt worth enough to me to put a new 1 on

Crasher
25-03-2012, 12:53 AM
The car is not worth £162 to you?

PeteK
25-03-2012, 10:17 AM
What is the problem with the EGR? Mine has always seeped a small amount of oil out of the holes in the side, however it is no different now with 200k on the clock to when I bought it with 96k. I removed it last year to clean it and it wasn't anywhere near as clogged up as I thought it might be. I tried disconnecting the vacuum pipe also on mine which is a 2004 130 AWX to see what difference it made - within 20 miles the engine management light came on and an 'emissions workshop' warning. I couldn't honestly notice any difference in the way in ran. The system is designed to lower toxic emissions and has obviously been put on for a reason, therefore I would agree with advice that it is best to leave it alone. Hope this helps, Pete

mrp0ny
25-03-2012, 10:36 AM
"The car isnt worth it" seems to be a regular line.....but it is such short term thinking. The book value of these cars may be low.....but they are capable of intergalactic mileages and any maintenance spend on a 1.9tdi is a long term investment and should be compared to the cost of buying a new car (and then fixing all the unknown problems)......the cars are worth far more than the book value. It is only recently a better mpg/performance mix engine has turned up in the BMW 320D......but we dont know if that has the longivity of the 1.9tdi yet......

PeteK
25-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I agree with the last - having just bought a new house I have no plans of changing my Passat yet and cannot think of a good reason to due to a combination of amazing economy, reliability and performance. I am hoping to get it up to at least 300k miles and it is still in immaculate condition. The only part that has failed in the last 104k miles since i've owned it is the alternator clutch pulley, I have replaced a few bits due to the high mileage such as the injector loom, MAF sensor, coolant temp sensor and thermostat but all the rest of the car is original including the clutch and suspension.

Crasher
25-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Peter, that is two posts on this forum this morning that showed reasonable, common sense thinking-this cannot continue!

PeteK
25-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Peter, that is two posts on this forum this morning that showed reasonable, common sense thinking-this cannot continue!

Normal service will resume shortly, I'm just over tired from my last 4 night shifts!

Crasher
25-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Yes, but one of those posts was not yours, I am concerned!