PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from mid-box area

Mart8v
22-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi there,

Now that the weather has got colder I've noticed that after short journeys there appears to be a fan operating towards the rear of the car once ignition is turned off, and a greying smoke coming from the NSR in the exhaust area.

Is this normal?! I'm used to Subarus which clunk and chatter as they cool but this is new to me!

Help!

Thanks,
Martin

Mr OV51LTA
24-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Hi there,

Now that the weather has got colder I've noticed that after short journeys there appears to be a fan operating towards the rear of the car once ignition is turned off, and a greying smoke coming from the NSR in the exhaust area.

Is this normal?! I'm used to Subarus which clunk and chatter as they cool but this is new to me!

Help!

Thanks,
Martin

Hi there...That'll be your auxiliary heater firing up. All quite normal!!

Its a small diesel powered heater that is designed to warm the heating system up (as coolant flows through it) when the car is cold.

And unless the smoke is thick accrid diesel smoke (like mine was until I fixed it earlier today :D) then I wouldn't worry about it. When I say thick smoke...mine could have doubled as a dry ice machine in a nightclub!! :Blush2:

I'm sure I read that it only operates when the outside temperature drops below 10 degrees (i think!!)

If you have a look on the side panel behind the N/S seat on the middle row you'll find the vent that SHOULD be blowing hot air out.

If it doesn't get hot after running for a while you may need the glow plug inside replacing...if this fails then its 'smoke smoke smoke!!!'

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

Roj

Mart8v
25-11-2007, 12:47 PM
That's great- thanks for the reply. I'll keep an eye on it as the winter coems on. It only runs for a minute or so after switching off the engine and doesn't seem to be getting worse in the smoke dept!

Thanks for putting my mind at rest!

Mart8v
02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi there...That'll be your auxiliary heater firing up. All quite normal!!

Its a small diesel powered heater that is designed to warm the heating system up (as coolant flows through it) when the car is cold.

And unless the smoke is thick accrid diesel smoke (like mine was until I fixed it earlier today :D) then I wouldn't worry about it. When I say thick smoke...mine could have doubled as a dry ice machine in a nightclub!! :Blush2:

If it doesn't get hot after running for a while you may need the glow plug inside replacing...if this fails then its 'smoke smoke smoke!!!'

Hope this helps!!!

Cheers,

Roj

Hi Roj,

Right- the dry ice machine has arrived!! Do you have the VAG part number for the glow plug? Also, is it an easy fix? I'm pretty mechanically minded with old Golfs etc but have not yet wielded a spanner in anger on the bus.....

Cheers,
Martin

Mr OV51LTA
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Hi Roj,

Right- the dry ice machine has arrived!! Do you have the VAG part number for the glow plug? Also, is it an easy fix? I'm pretty mechanically minded with old Golfs etc but have not yet wielded a spanner in anger on the bus.....

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Martin,

According to the printout that my mate from GSF gave me (which came direct from the VAG parts computer!!) the VAG part no is 7M3 963 319A and it's item no 14 on the parts list.

Alternatively you could visit your local GSF and quote the VAG part no.

They can order it in and is around £20inc VAT.

Let me know if or when you get one sorted and i'll type up the procedure for replacing said faulty item!!!

Speak soon,

Roj

Mart8v
05-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Great stuff- thanks!

will drop you a line when I have the part, assuming I can see thru the smoke.....!!

Arty
13-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Come on, don't keep us waiting ..... what is the procedure for replacing the bl........y glow plug.

We're all freezing out here!!!

Mr OV51LTA
13-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Come on, don't keep us waiting ..... what is the procedure for replacing the bl........y glow plug.

We're all freezing out here!!!

I'm feeling your pain...well I was!! :biglaugh:

Its been a couple of weeks since I did mine,I'll have a quick look underneath at the weekend so I get the positions of things correctly and i'll write it up so you can stop wearing your thermals in the car!!!

Cheers, Roj

Arty
14-12-2007, 12:21 PM
thanks Roj

Waiting and shivering .

Mart8v
17-12-2007, 01:30 PM
OK- Part ordered, all I need now is the write up........!!

Arty
19-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Join the queue ............

steviewilson
27-12-2007, 08:38 PM
This is happening to my 05 Sharan TDi, and theres a horrible gassy smell in the vehicle as well. How do I stop this happening?

Stevie

japster
03-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I have a 54 reg model, it started smelling in the cabin exactly as you described so SEAT main dealers looked and quoted the £600 as some of you have been mentioning - their fancy computers just simply said there was a "fault" needing replacemnt of the entire unit!!!!:mad:

It started smelling when the car was just over 3 years old last november. Just my luck that the warrenty had run out.

Gathering from the forums it seems that three years is about the lifespan of the unit before problems develop and that the glow plug is most likely the problem. Is OV51 going to post the installation technique?? There must be a long queue for it now two months on.

Anyway I asked a seperate garage to disconnect it with the pull apart electrical connection adjacent. Problem solved, provided the weather doesn't get too cold and then its just cold. When it does the car takes much longer to heat up. When it does its fine.

Anyone any problems with permanent disconnection???

cliffdi
18-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Just thought I'd add my experience to this. Recently had the same problem with my 03 Alhambra TDI. Diesel fumes in the car when starting up, white smoke from under the car at the near side rear. To cut a long story short, my Seat dealer said the auxiliary heater motor needed replacing at £600 + labour + VAT (so over £900 in total). I made some checks and found the heater is made by Eberspacher (www.eberspacher.com). They pointed me to my nearest Eberspacher dealer (in Leighton Buzzard), who removed, decoked, serviced and refitted it in two hours at a cost of £223 inc parts, labour and VAT. Apparently they get fuel deposits building up and eventually the glow plug goes. No point just replacing the glow plug as the heat exchanger needs decoking properly and the fuel filter and gaskets will need replacing. Anyway, it's working fine now at less than a quarter of the dealer's quote and should last another 5 years.

mscomms
02-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Me too for the procedure

Cheers

Mike

steviewilson
02-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Last another 5 years? My car aint even 3 years old and its terrible in cold weather!

Stevie

coxy123
04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Was this procedure ever put up...could do with it now!

rickf
04-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't believe they haven't solved this old chestnut by now. I remember having SIX repairs on this part back on my X plate 115bhp when it was still under warranty. Never had a problem on any of three replacement cars, maybe I was lucky.