PDA

View Full Version : Golf MK2 Driver 1.6

chegers
22-11-2007, 01:30 AM
I have just bought my self a 1.6 mk2 driver off ebay in red.
Has got 126k on the clock, can you knowlegable folks advise me on what i should get done when i receive the car?
E.g what parts to service ect.

Regards :-)

Oddball
23-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Did you get to view the car? And what year is it? MOT? Tax?

First off the bat, do the obvioust things, oil and filter change, check the brake fluid and coolant levels. Test all the electrics, as they tend to get very dicey on these cars. Then you should change the timing belt, a haynes manual will tell you how to do it, or you can book it into a garage if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself. I would also check the suspension for any play, as the bushes get pretty worn over time.

Also, check the engine itself. If nobody's changed the gaskets for a while, they may be leaking. Oil leaking usually looks wet on the engine block or sump, so if you have wet oil, there's probably a leak.

Body wise, I would do a methodical check for rust. These cars don't rust much, and when they do it's mostly cosmetic methinks. If it's the original paint you might be seeing some rust around the tailgate, and the bottoms of the doors, possibly the wing and bonnet leading edges too. And in every mk2 i've ebver laid eyes on, there has been a bit of rust inside the engine bay.

Whew, written a novel there, but I think those are the main things. These cars are very hardy, but I find they're either very well looked after, or not at all. But even if it's a shed, like mine, you shouldn't have much trouble after you give her a little love and attention.

blaconbomber
04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
i own the same motor my mate and once you get it runnin and polished up youll fall in love im tellin ya but as oddball said and from my past experience check the electrics completely because the slightest little problem can cause all sorts of weird and wonderful things to happen mine has only got 94k on the clock but they go forever even if its been neglected for years they are so easy to work on and parts are cheap as you like once you find a good source or donor vehicle.

Paul L
28-12-2007, 05:54 PM
I'd change the cam belt. Expensive if it goes. Good luck. Paul L