PDA

View Full Version : Golf GT Xenon Lights

Alistair101
21-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

I got my '07 Golf GT 170 this summer and ordered the optional Bi-Xenon headlights.

After a few weeks of being flashed by every oncoming driver the dealer confirmed and apologised that they had missed Xenon adjustment on the PDI check and that the lights were on the highest of the 5 preset dealer adjustable levels. They adjusted the Xenons and after that I couldn't see anything at all so having had a number of problems with that dealer I took the car to another dealer who confirmed the lights were adjusted to the lowest of the 5 preset levels. They then finally adjusted to the Xenon lights to quote UK road legal specification.

Now, I find the left light is adjusted as it should be, slightly left and slightly up to provide good visibility. However the right light I find doesn't provide that much visibility, almost like it is too low and I am using main beam far more than I am used to.

Has anyone else found this with Xenons?

Does anyone know how I can adjust the Xenons myself? Or where I could go to get them adjusted?

Also, I see this has been discussed before, but it seems there are no headlight protectors (at least made by VW) for Xenons and you can't use stickers on the lights for driving abroad. Is the only way to take the car to the dealer for beam adjustment?

Thanks in advance

Wazza_G
21-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I've got the Xenon's on my GT Sport and everything is just fine, I'm so impressed with them as they're so good that I rarely use the full beam headlights, one idiot flashed me but soon got the message when I did go to full beam! :biglaugh:

As for headlight protectors you can get your VW dealer to order & fit them for you for £38.

The part number is: ZGB 1K0 072 100

Alistair101
27-11-2007, 01:30 PM
Ok, so I took the car to the dealer yesterday for Xenon Adjustment. I asked to watch the process.

They put the car on the ramp, and put this wheeled box thing with what look like mirrors in it and determined that the kerb side light was a little low and the drivers side light was a little high. Very odd.
To adjust the lights they connected up a laptop thing to car and put the xenon menu into adjust mode, then using a hex screwdriver turned the nut on top of the headlights until the beams on both sides were at the top line, he said the absolute maximum legal limit for UK roads. Then stored the settings in the computer and that was it. Personally I don't see much difference.

I am thinking to have a go myself. If I park the car in front of a wall and with the headlights on mark where the top of the light is now and then adjust it, is the auto level system just going to cancel this out next time I turn on the ignition?

Wazza_G
27-11-2007, 09:27 PM
In all honesty I'd leave them alone, unless you have the right equipment & correct settings then leave them as they are, if you're not happy with the dealer you're using currently then take it to a second one for a "second opinion".

I think that's what I'd do, especially as Xenon lights cost so much money, not only to buy, but to repair or replace.

I must admit at times I think mine are possibly a little high, but I've got used to them now, they self adjust each time that I start up and everything seems fine with mine.

Someone made the mistake of putting their lights up at me the other night (Bloody Volvo drivers!) but got a nasty shock when I put my lights on full beam, you could literally see the look of surprise on HER face! Women! :rolleyes: