PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy indicators....

gsxr-jon
21-11-2007, 04:48 PM
My A6 has developed a fault with the indicators.

They were very erratic for a while and now sometimes just stop working. This is both left and right! No bulbs blown so I thought it may be the flasher relay.
The hazards work no problem, but when using the indy stalk it flashes normal then a double flash ever now and again and like I said above has now started to just not work after a few flashes???

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

jon

EDIT: Have re-posted in Tech forum!!!

Butch_Dingle
21-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Sounds like a similar problem I had on my 1996 A6 - Replaced the Relay (Hazzard and Indicator Relay all one unit). All sorted

gsxr-jon
27-11-2007, 12:38 PM
My hazards work no problems at all...if it is the relay, then there must be two different relays, one for the the indys and one for the hazards!!!

Does anyone know if there is one or two relays???

cronic
27-11-2007, 02:47 PM
My hazards work no problems at all...if it is the relay, then there must be two different relays, one for the the indys and one for the hazards!!!

Does anyone know if there is one or two relays???

I had exactly the same problem with my indicators...the hazards worked fine but the indicators didn't...there is only the one relay which i replaced for about £15...!

gsxr-jon
27-11-2007, 04:08 PM
I had exactly the same problem with my indicators...the hazards worked fine but the indicators didn't...there is only the one relay which i replaced for about £15...!

Cheers cronic.

And the multi-million dollar question is........

.....where is the relay and how do I get to it?

I have visions of dismantling the dash, but I hope it's in the engine bay and easy to got to..!!!

jon

cronic
28-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Cheers cronic.

And the multi-million dollar question is........

.....where is the relay and how do I get to it?

I have visions of dismantling the dash, but I hope it's in the engine bay and easy to got to..!!!

jon

i did see a really well illustrated process describing how to do this...but for the life of me i can't remember where...Fear Not...its very simple...!

the relay is part of the hazard switch...so you'll need to remove the thin rectangular fascia cover around it...i think i did this with my fingers and a small flat head screw driver....once you have that off the relay can be removed using a small pair of long nose pliers...you can get a purchase on the relay housing between the 'red triangle' button and the relay housing...needs a bit of grunt to remove it but it should come away...then disconnet the relay and replace it and the fascia...!!

gsxr-jon
28-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Cheers cronic

I'll be buying one and fitting it this weekend..!!:biggthump