PDA

View Full Version : Power loss tdi 1.9 110hp

webbo1974
21-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Can anyone help me? I have a passat 1.9 TDI that has suddenly started to lose power, especially when first started up, it feels alright for a few seconds going down the road and then the power disappears and it struggles setting off from a standstill etc. It does eventually get up to speed but without the turbo kicking in? If you pull over and stop the car then restart it, the problem seems to go away and the car feels normal again. Any Ideas??:confused:

Cheers.

Webbo

PeoplesMan
23-11-2007, 08:44 PM
Your car is in Limp Mode.... ie: Turbo aint working.....

If you search Limp Mode or Turbo then you will get the solution.

I think the solution is that you have your Turbo refurbished but I am not a mechanic / experienced so your better searching the forum. I do remember reading threads about this problem on here before.

Stevef.
23-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hi, youre turbo is probably a garrett VNT it will probably be either a (1)sticking VNT mechanism(needs removed and cleaned), (2) bad maf sensor, (3)leaking or blocked /nipped/kinked vacuum pipes or(4) leaking boost pipe. Any vacuum leaks could be related to worn out vacuum operated valves used to control the boost/egr and anti shudder/runaway flap in the egr housing, egr diaphram/vnt actuator/anti shudder actuator, also cracks in nipples for vacuum pipes and t-pieces. I would guess at either 1 or 2 in my list with my gut feeling being 1. Just my opinion.

minty0_10
24-11-2007, 07:48 PM
sounds to me like the well know comman fault the air flow meter. it happened to my 110. try unpluging it you wont get the power back but you should be able to tell the difference.
its a cheap and easy fix compared to a new turbo

HEBUBA
26-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I have a Passat 2001 TDI 1.9 130bhp 92000 miles: Had power loss after a few miles, went into limp mode turbo not functioning. After ignition switched off/on ran ok for a few miles then power loss again. Had error code read (can't remember the value) inconclusive result - advised by garage 3 possible problems MAS, MAP or Turbo vane sticking.
Have read most of the posts on this problem and was able to swap parts from an identical Passat. MAS change on air filter made no difference. Swapped MAP in inlet manifold pipe (5 minute job) and the problem was resolved. 038906051C VW part £34.72 inc VAT. The change of performance was amazing - I think this part may have been failing for some time.
Noticed oil leak around loose fitting output intercooler manifold pipe joint - managed to pull tight and seal with self-amalgamating tape. A new pipe is £30+ but not sure the seal would be any better.