PDA

View Full Version : ipod in car

reezbreez
20-11-2007, 08:09 PM
Hi

Just bought a new vw beetle and want to have the ipod in the car. VW costs a fortune to install. Anyone else got any ideas? How did you do it?

Thanks

Wazza_G
20-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Try a Belkin Tunebase which is currently on offer at Amazon for less than a 10'er here's the link (shortened!) http://tinyurl.com/32lh2o

:D

BTW if you buy one make sure that you Ipod is compatible with it, then when you use it, select the Japanese Mode (JP) and use the frequencies around 87,0, there are very few radio stations that low. Better quality!

prolfe
20-11-2007, 08:29 PM
just buy the cable from vw, buy the removal tools from ebay and do it yourself.

takes about an hour, depending on how long it takes to take the glovebox out.

:)

there is an atricle on how to do it in an A3 on the How To section

Wazza_G
20-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Which is messy & time consuming way of doing things.

A Belkin Tunebase installs in about 60secs and it takes about the same to tune it.

Why bother taking things to pieces when there's absolutely no need to?

prolfe
20-11-2007, 08:54 PM
I did it because:

I did not want to clutter up my beautiful dash with an ipod holder and iPod.

I did not want the sound through the speakers to be crap when the transmitter stumbles across something else on the same frequency.

I wanted to be able to control the iPod through the stereo.

but hey, transmitters are cheap and cheerful and do what they say they will for 80% of the time.

This is just my opinion, but for the extra £50 why not have it wired into the stereo.

Ben
20-11-2007, 09:23 PM
i agree prolfe, and for me there is no better place to go than one of the supporting companies xcarlink (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=181) ;)

dessimpson
21-11-2007, 01:03 AM
I've got one of those radio tune thingies from ebay. Cheap and cheerful. Never let me down. Although i do agree that it is a bit unsightly sticking up in front of the dash.
If you can wire something in then go for that option. If you don't really give a damn about how it looks then be a pikey like me ;)