PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate driveshaft noise ?

Daytona213
20-11-2007, 06:14 PM
My 98 TDi Automatic is making what i thought was a wheel bearing noise. definitely road speed related noise, so I changed the o/s wheel bearing it's still there! Goes quiet when i steer right and gets louder steering left. Also when i go over a bumpy or rippled surface goes and comes back as the weight transfers on and off the wheels.Sound is offside off centre. Can
any one confirm that it's the intermediate drive shaft that's the problem? If not any suggestions would be appreciated

kenney
20-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Are you sure you have changed the right wheel bearing? jekk the car up and check the other bearing.If you mean it is ok,try and cross change your wheels.

Daytona213
21-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Are you sure you have changed the right wheel bearing? jekk the car up and check the other bearing.If you mean it is ok,try and cross change your wheels.

The noise is definitely coming from the driver's side front. But I'm willing to try anything at this point. Can get a driveshaft from a breakers yard for £50, I'm considering going down that route so I can eliminate everything up to the gearbox output.

Thanks for the reply, will post an update tomorrow - weather permitting.

kenney
22-11-2007, 10:57 AM
A defektive drive shaft does not make the same sound as a noisy wheel bearing.I have been fooled a couple of times thinking it was a wheel bearing,and it was coming from the tyres beleive it or not.

Crasher
22-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Kenny is right, a drive shaft clacks and rattles, not a rumble. Have you considered it may be a tyre?

Daytona213
25-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Put the spare on, hoping you might be right about the tyre but still no joy, still noisey. Hate having to take it to a garage because it was a an auto mechanic that diagnosed it as being the front offside wheel bearing. He Quoted £150 for doing the bearing, only cost £30 from an autofactors. So I'm still £120 in hand!