PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps the strangest question ever?

simonjguy
20-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello! i am a new user so please be nice.

Year 2000
Mk4 Golf TDI Se

I discovered today that a mouse has set up home in my car! I've cleaned out his little nest and stashes of food and have placed a humane trap for his capture.

Recently, only the past few days, my car alarm has been going off for no particular reason - could the little fella of been activating it when exploring his new home?

What sort of 'sensors' are used by the VW alarm systems?

I thought it was a condensation problem setting the alarm (i use my Golf for gardening work see and its often full of soggy bags, equipment etc) could this be an option?

Thanks for reading and i appreciate you taking time to reply.

All the best

Simon (and mouse)

motorhead
20-11-2007, 06:50 PM
hi
from experience i can tell you that a mouses favorite hobby is chewing through the insulation on wiring.maybe your alarm wires are shorting out and setting it off

simonjguy
21-11-2007, 06:41 PM
*UPDATE*
Mouse has been caught! bye bye little fella!

do VW's use interior sensors or like door sensors?

i pray and pray that the little rascal has not gone through some cabling

kesselrun
23-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Have you tried diabling the interior sensors by pressing the button inside the cabin?

My three door golf has this button directly behind the driver's door about knee height. You press it when you're leaving the car and when you lock it, it disables the interior sensors.

This should prove or disprove the sensors for you.

I don't know much about the alarm system other than this, unfortunately.

simonjguy
23-11-2007, 09:30 PM
ah!

the magic button!

a friend and I both got our VWs at a similiar time (me a Golf him a Bora) and we would text each other with little secrets and tricks we would find, e.g. the arm rest in the back opens up or the cup holder in the back ashtray. We both found the button by the drivers door at the same time and have been clueless as to its purpose (i have a the VW manuals that came with the car, he does not but i could not find its use). So there we were, in his car, baited breath, bracing ourselves with his finger poised on the button, three, two, one! he pushes it AND! nothing....

so now i know!!!

I'll let you know how i get on and thanks for the reply!

Simon

kesselrun
25-11-2007, 11:08 PM
No worries mate. Hope you get it sorted out.

Crasher
25-11-2007, 11:16 PM
Back in the late 80's I had a dentists Jetta GTI 16v come in with running problems, it would drive fine until you floored it when it would just feel flat and lacking in power. I checked plugs, fuel, settings etc and found nothing so I thought I would check the air filter for obstructions and found a mouse nest and a whole air box full of seeds, grass, straw etc. Another customer brought his Ur Quattro in due to a misfire and we found that mice in his barn had eaten the spark plug leads, wiring rubber grommets, nibbled at brake hoses, suspension bushes, the leather seats, carpets etc.

simonjguy
28-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Funny Little Buggers!

The 'magic button' mentioned earlier in the thread is snapped off in my car! Jangled my keys around in the hole and think i probably activated it, well i locked the car and the alarm didnt go off but i guess only time will tell,

I guess what i'm really asking is;

Could a mouse set off a VW car alarm by moving around in the vehicle?

Thanks For All The Interest So Far Guys!

Simon

Crasher
28-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Could a mouse set off a VW car alarm by moving around in the vehicle?

It is possible but unlikely. Get it scanned to see which the last trigger source was.

Ben
28-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Is this you?

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0119715/Ss/0119715/fcsbat_0022.jpg.html?hint=group

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

not quite the same, but we found we had mice living under our kitchen, access point was by the gas meter in the cupboard. put some traps, caught 8 of them!!!

keep trapping mate.

simonjguy
06-12-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah! thats me on the left! Christmas is coming, i'll have to dig that jumper out again...

I didnt know you could get the system scanned to see what the last 'trigger' was. Is this a VW job or go see my local auto electrician?

Thanks to all for your comments and advice and what not guys!

All the best and Seasons Greetings!

Simon