PDA

View Full Version : Hi. Can anyone help with a starting problem?

PPK
20-11-2007, 02:39 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and was hoping someone might be able to help me with a starting problem on my 1995 Golf Mk3 CL.

My car is really not liking the cold damp mornings we're having at the moment. It always starts eventually but it's a real struggle some mornings. I have replaced the plugs and HT leads and checked and cleaned the distributor and checked the air filter which is OK but the problem persists. I was thinking it might be the coil.

It is fine and starts more or less first time when the weather isn't damp.

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.

ruler_70
20-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Replace relay #30

Crasher
20-11-2007, 04:18 PM
The 75PS and 90PS AAM an ABS engines do not have an ECU relay at position 3 with the number 30 on top. The only time there is a relay in that position for these models is for cars without a catalyst as these have a lambda sensor heater relay in that position.

Dollso
20-11-2007, 05:30 PM
run a diagnostics before you start replacing parts, there's a few things that could cause this. diagnostics will rule out electronic faults..

golf3
20-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I have this problem as well with my mk3 golf cl 1.8, Its better now after an AA man clobered the starter motor with a rubber hammer thing after I stupidly ran the car down a hill without the engine on, disengaging the starter motor the very nice man said thats what i had done, Maybe have a look at the starter motor perhaps as my car sometimes didnt even start when atempting startup, since the AA man fiddled with my starter motor Its far better at starting than before. Nearly always.
Cheers Ads

PS Im not a qualified mechanic or anything i just hope this helps in some way.

PPK
21-11-2007, 10:04 AM
Hi,

It cut out last night when I drove through a not particularly huge puddle. I think this is related to the starting problem as the starting problem only occurs when it's damp.

Would running a diagnostic pick up problems in the HT system if that's what it turns out to be? I have read that it wouldn't.

Cheers.

Crasher
21-11-2007, 10:49 AM
PPK, what engine code is your car?

PPK
21-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I really need to find this out. Not had the car that long. Where is this information located or what should I look for in order to tell?

bora(ing) nick
21-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I really need to find this out. Not had the car that long. Where is this information located or what should I look for in order to tell?

On the engine itself, or on a sticker under the carpet in the boot.

It'll be a 3 digit code something similar to ATD, AJD, AFN ect ect

Nick

PPK
21-11-2007, 12:18 PM
A E A ?

Crasher
21-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes AEA is a good code. It doesn’t make sense why it cut out going through a puddle so you should get a fault code read done.

PPK
21-11-2007, 12:47 PM
OK cheers for your help Crasher.