PDA

View Full Version : ECU Re-Map for Mkv golf

19tdi
20-11-2007, 02:38 PM
I am hoping to get my MKv golf 1.9tdi ecu re mapped for extra bhp, torque and mpg.

Have any others had it done if so what kind of mpg's should i be expecting.....if i dont rag it everywhere?

cheers

Ben
20-11-2007, 10:29 PM
i've had it done:D

i posted my results here

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18829

mines a 2.0 though.

read through the chip n spin section, plenty of q's and a's there

Davieboy
27-11-2007, 07:42 PM
hey
i have had my mk 5 2.0 tdi remapped. Highly recomend it.
MPG is up slightly on sensible runs and down noticebly on drag runs.
Superchips bluefin is the way to go, you can do it yourself. i did it and worked great. easy step by step guide to an easy 185-190 BHP

19tdi
27-11-2007, 07:57 PM
i only have a 1.9tdi though so i what would i be expecting bhp wise?140 or something? its the 6 gear one

Davieboy
27-11-2007, 08:04 PM
just had a look and it says you will get almost 30bhp of a rise. have you got the 105bhp model?
Even with 135bhp you will notice a considerable difference in the mid range. great for overtaking.

architect
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi
I'm interested in your discussion.
I've got a MK 5 140 and wonder if I did remap what happens to any current or future warrantee? (sorry may be a stupid question but not up to speed with this concept)

Ben
03-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi
I'm interested in your discussion.
I've got a MK 5 140 and wonder if I did remap what happens to any current or future warrantee? (sorry may be a stupid question but not up to speed with this concept)

spend some time reading through the chip 'n' spin section located in the supporting companies area.

I asked this very question and it got answered.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13698

architect
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Thanks for this
I have just read and now have a better idea and will think about it

VanWheeler
03-12-2007, 10:09 PM
If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks, Mark

brentos2004
03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Hi Mark,

Can you answer this post for me. Sorry I might have put the question in the wrong place.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=100828#post100828

Thanks
Brent

VanWheeler
04-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Done Mate,

Cheers

Hi Mark,

Can you answer this post for me. Sorry I might have put the question in the wrong place.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=100828#post100828

Thanks
Brent

Davieboy
04-12-2007, 07:09 PM
I know with superchips bluefin, it is recognised by their warranty as its the same remapping that they use in their racing TDI golfs.
Superchips also have their own warranty, and its not meant to replace VW warranty but there to supplement it.

As with any tuning company it would be wise to check it out before getting it done.
The choice of tuning companies that provide OBDII remapping has expanded greatly over the last year or two.
Have a good look around and see whats out there.
I can only say that i am really pleased with my choice.

stevy-merlo
09-02-2008, 06:49 PM
I have a 1.9 tdi sport remapped to 180bhp. driving easy usually i could get 65+ mpg. alot more torque and fun than 105bhp standard to drive:D

BlackSmoke
12-02-2008, 02:49 PM
Just browsing and I saw this post.
I've had quite a few golfs in my time but for the the last two, I added a TuningBox plugin box (www.tuningbox.com) giving 30% more power + a lot more torque whilst having the advantage of keeping the warranties by simply unplugging the box for servicing etc:-

1st. MK4 Tdi 110 - With the box I really struggled to get below 50mpg (even when driving like a maniac) but averaged aroung 60 mpg for normal driving.
2nd. MK4 Tdi 150 - With the box was only getting around 50 mpg (which was more than without the box) ... but I was having a lot more fun !!.
Things to watch for with the upgrade to 180 are the extra wear on the clutch and very, very quick wearing front tyres.

I'm just about to go for the tuningbox chip for my MK5 170 - I expect better fuel consumption than without ... but will probably expect more front tyre wear .... I'll try to go easier on the clutch this time.

stevy-merlo
12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
ive had to put a new set of front tyres on the car every 6000 miles. its got 23000 miles now and there near ready to be replaced again. i seen a friends cars engine reck itself with a tuning box so thats why i went for the remapp. ive still over a years warranty left on the car but they can't trace the remapp

VanWheeler
12-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Just browsing and I saw this post.
I've had quite a few golfs in my time but for the the last two, I added a TuningBox plugin box (www.tuningbox.com (http://www.tuningbox.com)) giving 30% more power + a lot more torque whilst having the advantage of keeping the warranties by simply unplugging the box for servicing etc:-

1st. MK4 Tdi 110 - With the box I really struggled to get below 50mpg (even when driving like a maniac) but averaged aroung 60 mpg for normal driving.
2nd. MK4 Tdi 150 - With the box was only getting around 50 mpg (which was more than without the box) ... but I was having a lot more fun !!.
Things to watch for with the upgrade to 180 are the extra wear on the clutch and very, very quick wearing front tyres.

I'm just about to go for the tuningbox chip for my MK5 170 - I expect better fuel consumption than without ... but will probably expect more front tyre wear .... I'll try to go easier on the clutch this time.

If you have a Brand new 170, please get a proper remap, especially if it has the DSG box. The massive thump of torque generated by these tuning boxes could destroy the gearbox.

Call me on 07756 190026 and i can do you a good deal.

Cheers, Mark

boofont
13-02-2008, 01:49 PM
This subject is a nightmare! I'm looking at doing something with my Golf when I get it in March but really don't know what to do.

Orginally, I thought about a chip. I then heard that they just over-fuel the car which can cause problems.

Then, re-map. Problem being that (at least as far as I know) this can be lost at the dealers plus there's warrenty issues.

Next, Bluefin or similiar. Expensive though and doesn' quite give as good as a re-map.

What would be great is if a subjetc matter expert could create a sticky type post for all to read about the differant techniques out there.

Still can't make up my mind though, ruled out a chip but not sure about re-map or Bluefin? Help!!!!

VanWheeler
13-02-2008, 02:08 PM
This subject is a nightmare! I'm looking at doing something with my Golf when I get it in March but really don't know what to do.

This might help

Orginally, I thought about a chip. I then heard that they just over-fuel the car which can cause problems.

This is conrrect if you are talking about the resistor in a box jobbie

Then, re-map. Problem being that (at least as far as I know) this can be lost at the dealers plus there's warrenty issues.

We will always re-write the file for free if overwritten by a dealer.

Warrenty see here http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=13698

19tdi
15-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Stevey Merlo who chipped your 1.9 to 180bhp? sounds interesting any problems associated with it?

BlackSmoke
25-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Then, re-map. Problem being that (at least as far as I know) this can be lost at the dealers plus there's warranty issues.

Next, Bluefin or similiar. Expensive though and doesn' quite give as good as a re-map.

What would be great is if a subjetc matter expert could create a sticky type post for all to read about the differant techniques out there.

Still can't make up my mind though, ruled out a chip but not sure about re-map or Bluefin? Help!!!!

Well now, after a lot of "umming and arrhing" I've decided to go down the remap route with mine. The reason ended up as being one of cost vs advantages/disadvantages.
1. A "proper" tuning box which does an electronic "external" re-map (ie. not the cheap resistor thingy) was going to cost around £400 more than the good deal offered by Mark at chip-n-spin (sorry Mark, a really good deal but unfortunately it's a bit too far to drive)
2. Advantage of tuningbox is that it can be unplugged and there's no trace ... but with a remap I've found you get to keep the ECU files and can have the original written back in if you really need it.
(I bet there's even a cheaper "home" option than bluefin which allows you to swap between the original and remap ecu files ?!)