PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Manual???

Cohen Fain
20-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I have a December 1998 A4 Avant 1.8T. I know very little about cars except the basics - changing oil, coolant, screenwash etc as well as a bit of experience at spotting bad used cars generally.

I have a 70k Avant and am likley, as it is in very good condition for its age and will do a very good job for us as a workhorse for years to come (kids likley on the way over the course of the next few years). Thus, I would like to get to know the Audi better and need to start by reading a workshop manual/Haynes manual. I'm an intelligent bloke and absorb complicated information for a living so I'll get to grips with it over time, but need something comrehensive but that does not necessarily assume previous mechanical knowledge.

What's the best book for me? :1zhelp:

mcgowan.b
20-11-2007, 12:58 PM
If you are into Computers, and dont mind a digital version, then i would recommend the following
http://cgi.ebay.ie/AUDI-WORKSHOP-MANUAL-A2-A3-A4-A6-A8-TT-COUPE-AVANT-V8_W0QQitemZ330188059774QQihZ014QQcategoryZ18334QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You will need the make and model of the car (obviously) and the engine and gearbox code possibly. Gives you a breakdown of all possible bits on the car that you would need... Although I have to admit, it does pose some difficulties when trying to make comparisions between your car and the manual when your head is in the engine:banghead:

Found it useful though.... and cheap

Cohen Fain
20-11-2007, 01:31 PM
I would have preferred a book, but the more I think about it, the more I think an electronic version has its advantages. Searching, for example. Also, if you have a laptop, then I guess you can just take that out to the car as well...

Thanks! :beerchug:

Does anyone else have ay views?

docurley
22-11-2007, 07:49 AM
Bentley manual is regarded as one of the best.

currington
22-11-2007, 09:45 AM
I would have preferred a book, but the more I think about it, the more I think an electronic version has its advantages. Searching, for example. Also, if you have a laptop, then I guess you can just take that out to the car as well...

Thanks! :beerchug:

Does anyone else have ay views?

Get the electronic one. I did and it's perfect. If you want to have the info with you at the car then you could always print off the section you need at the time.

A4Chris
23-11-2007, 12:01 AM
With no mechanical training I have managed fairly comprehensive mechanical tasks on the audi (and previous cars) aided only by a Haynes manual. These books are truly excellent and I would recommend them highly. Only down side is that they can sometimes over-complicate tasks.

I guess ideally you would research a job electronically and then work off the Haynes manual at the car with the electronic search knowledge in your mind also?