PDA

View Full Version : T4 Instument Panel Ilumination

squelchy
20-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Hello , can any one tell me how I get to fit new lamps in the instument panel on a 1999 T4 ?
Does the panel have to come out and if so How?

Many thanks, Squelchy:beerchug:

smiler808
14-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Squelchy,

I noticed no one replyed to your thread, which is a shame, as i have the same problem with my '96 T4 1.9D.

Just wondering if you found a solution to your problem...as far as i can work out, i'm going to have to remove the whole dash, which will mean the steering wheel, and lots of other bits too!

Cheers,

Sam
:beerchug:

kenney
14-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi Yes the panel has to be removed,and the steering wheel is best removed.You must remember if there is an airbag unit,remove the battery terminal,before you do anything.

t4olga
14-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Hello , can any one tell me how I get to fit new lamps in the instument panel on a 1999 T4 ?
Does the panel have to come out and if so How?

Many thanks, Squelchy:beerchug:
hi there,

i have 1993 2.4d T4 which is left hand drive
on that you take shroud off steering colume
then steering wheel off
then i think there are two screws that hold the instument panel in .
once the panels out take it apart to get at lights.

hope this is of some help

squelchy
15-01-2008, 12:43 AM
Many thanks for the reply, I will have to wait for the better weather to get the pannel out.

I have a bigger problem now, the van will not crank over from the ignition switch, I have replaced the switch and that was a job in itself. However the fault remains, and I have rigged up a tempory push button between the starter motor coil terminal and a live point.

This works ok but I would like it back to normal. There is an emobiliser some where in the circuit and it could be that that is playing up, as for the lights, it has turned out to be related to the none starting, The panel light used to light up from the ignition on position as well as from the light switch, now they only work from the light switch, and some times not at all.
A sharp tap on the top of the dash brings the lights on so I suspect there are one or two faults behind the dash board. I am not looking forward to fault finding this one.

I am open to suggestions, from any member who can throw a light on this ( pardon the pun).

All the best, Squelchy:zx11:

t4olga
15-01-2008, 09:22 AM
the problem i would guess is the soldering on the circuit board in the back of the clocks .
so you can take apart and resolder the joints or might be easier to get second hand clocks and just swap them over.

the starting prob sounds like could be imoboliser
when you turn key nothimg happens? or turns over but wont start?

kenney
15-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi The immobilizer has nothing to do with the starter.The red on black wire behind the ignition switch goes via the relay carrier to the starter.Your quickest and best bet is to run a new wire from the starter to the switch.

squelchy
15-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Thanks Kenny, and to the others who have replied to my message.

I thought of doing that," New wire direct" but I was worried that the switch might not take the current of the starter solenoid.

It still does not explain the other thing, that is to say that the instrument pannel lights used to come on with the key and / or with the lights,now its just with the lights, this as only happened since the start problem.

Thanks also to t4 Olga, but we have got our wires crossed, the engine does not crank over when the ignition is turned to start, with the tempory push button I have fitted to supply the starter direct, it starts fine and keeps running.

The van is an Ex AA vehicle, and the AA or a previous owner have added an imobiliser, It used to be connected to an " electronic sensor " mounted under the seat, this has been by passed now, but it used to interupt the start circuit and sound the horn if the key was turned to start.

I have a few things to go on now, Thanks to the forum.
I will get on my knees and pull the relay base out when we get a dry warmer day. ATB Squelchy:beerchug: