PDA

View Full Version : random overheating problem, no heat from a/c, please help!

rabby
19-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie here, and I've never had any problem with my car until yesterday, when i noticed the heaters werent working. I waited in vain in the freezing cold for the air to turn hot, but despite the temp guage showing a normal reading, the fans were still blowing cold air. so i decided to check my water reservoir.

the water level seemed normal, but i couldnt get the cap off because of the pressure. so i decided to leave it. then, on the way home, i noticed my temp guage shoot up to around 110, naturally i panicked, pulled over and stopped. out of nowhere my car's developed this overheating problem. there were no warning signs. the car runs fine and heats up normally til the midway mark on the guage. interestingly, the fans DO NOT engage.
since then i've had the cooling system flushed and it doesnt seem to be a problem with pressure. the thermostat has also been replaced. the pipes leading into the heater matrix become very hot but do not seem to be carrying water as they feel empty when massaged. there doesnt seem to be any obvious leak in the cooling system. and i've not had any loss of power that would suggest a more serious problem. i'm baffled, and i dont fancy handing the car to some crook in a garage who could just as easily create a problem which isnt there. has anybody eperienced similar problems, and can anybody offer any suggestions as to what the problem might be? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dollso
20-11-2007, 10:01 AM
just a guess.. air lock in the system? are both the pipes coming from the radiator hot? (i.e.. one on top and one on bottom) have you had the water pump checked?

rabby
20-11-2007, 03:41 PM
i should have said its a 1996 1.4l 8v

i've not had the water pump checked out yet.

the pipes on the right hand side of the engine seem to be hot but those on the left arent, and dont seem to be pressurised. i was astonished to find a thin hose/pipe randomly unattached, lying free in the very top left hand side of the engine bay. its suposed to be attached to the big bell shaped thing i assume... i'm a bit out of my depth here. im not sure if thats the cause of all this.

bora(ing) nick
20-11-2007, 04:11 PM
i should have said its a 1996 1.4l 8v

i've not had the water pump checked out yet.

the pipes on the right hand side of the engine seem to be hot but those on the left arent, and dont seem to be pressurised. i was astonished to find a thin hose/pipe randomly unattached, lying free in the very top left hand side of the engine bay. its suposed to be attached to the big bell shaped thing i assume... i'm a bit out of my depth here. im not sure if thats the cause of all this.

Same as the other post.... It's most likely to be your water pump, i'd have a £5 bet on it! lol

The pipe you are talking about is probably a breather pipe.

Nick

Dollso
20-11-2007, 05:41 PM
That's your breather pipe, and the ball shape thing you talk off is you expansion tank (where you put the coolant). the breather pipe runs from the expansion tank to the temperature sensor housing (black plastic thing that all the pipes attach to at the front of the engine). before assuming the pump is gone, rule out the simple things like an air lock.. simply take off the expansion tanks cap, make sure the coolant level is ok and then grab each of the pipes (starting at the pump) and repeatedly squeeze them, watch the coolant level and don't let it over flow (as you squeeze it will rise) if while you are doing this bubbles come to the top you have air in the system. keep doing this, on all the pipes, toping up the coolant as you go until the coolant level does not drop anymore.. check for leaks as well, and run a diagnostics.. it could be the pump or the thermostat (neither of which is an easy job to replace) but don't go replacing the pump until your sure as it's not cheep

ozzie252
23-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Same problem here - did you sort it?