PDA

View Full Version : TDI 130 lack of power

Michelin
19-11-2007, 04:44 PM
I was driving along with my 2001 TDI 130 earlier and all of a sudden when i put my foot down and the turbo kicked in i heard a bang and there was lots of black smoke coming from the back of the car and there was no power in it when you put your foot on the throttle you were just getting lots of black smoke and no power.I nursed it home and opened the bonnet cos it sounded like the exhaust was blowing aswell and noticed that a big pipe had come off a conection on the bottom passenger side of the car.I pushed the pipe back in place and started the car it was quiet again and revving nicely and no black smoke but when i drove it up the street it blew the pipe off again.Does anyone know what has happened and should there be a clip holding this pipe in place cos theres no clip on it maybe it fell off the first time the pipe came off.I was really worried cos i thought id blown the engine or something bad like that.Any advice would be much appreciated

L90OOK
19-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Sounds like the intercooler pipe is blowing off...it certainly will make it smoke & lose power.
They are about 50mm diameter.
Should be secured with hose clip.

Michelin
19-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Cheers L9OOK had a closer look and you are right it is the intercooler pipe and apparently it's quite a common problem on them according to my local VW Garage.Theres a couple of lugs that the clips clip onto and these wear away well one of them has on mine thus why the pipe gets blown off when the turbo kicks inAnyway i've ordered one thank the Lord thats all it is i was cra-----g myself thought i'd knackered the engine.There was some oil on the pipe should i clean all this up or does it lube something inside?

jack71
19-11-2007, 06:10 PM
same thing happened me last week.only i had a tear in the intercooler pipe.new one at dealer cost £63,then £30 labour for my mech to fix it after he found what was wrong.like you i was relieved that it was nothing more serious.:biggthump

Michelin
21-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Just a little bit of feedback,fitted the new intercooler pipe and clips and the cars perfect again like a rocket phew :biglaugh:

devonutopia
21-11-2007, 03:07 PM
This is why my entire intercooler system, from turbo to inlet, is made up of custom alloy pipework and HUGE marine grade jubilee clips. :D Nothing is going to blow them apart. The rubber hoses will probably split with the pressure before the clips give way. :)