PDA

View Full Version : T4 1998 2.5tdi odd power losses

PTB1966
19-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Afternoon all,

Have had said T4 for years and every now and then when asking the machine for a bit of boot (climbing a hill or overtaking) I get a sudden power drop. Van keeps going but the power slowly drains away after an initial and sudden 20% drop. It just means that I have to drop a gear to maintain speed but definately cant get any extra.

It does not happen all the time and sometimes the engine pulls like a good un, othertimes it has a serious sulk. Any advice?

Cheers

Pete :1zhelp:

squelchy
20-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Hello fellow T4 owner,
I had simular problem to this, have you noticed and extra black smoke when the power loss occurs?, If so it will be one of the large rubber hoses that go to the intercooler is possibly split.
The split will hold under normal conditions but when you put your foot down hard it can open up under the extra turbo pressure. Manifold pressure is then reduced resulting in a tempory power loss.

Mine was taped up for a month or so Till I got round to fitting a new one.

Check the hoses first If not it could be the airflow meter or MAF.

good Luck,
Cheers and Beers, Squelchy:beerchug:

PTB1966
21-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Hi Squelchy,

Thanks for the reply, I will have a look at the hoses to see if you are on to something! Thanks again.

PTB1966

CherryB
30-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Hi there. Does any dash warning lights appear? My fathers t4 did this and showed a lamp like the preheat. was traced back to the wiring loom had chaffed in the engine bay.. bared wires were arcing..New front section sorted it. also injector no. 3 was changed( the one with the signal wire).