PDA

View Full Version : Diesel non start ???

kev 3dr
18-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Hi all, ive just bought the girlfriend a 1.9 diesel golf off Ebay while i rebuild a accident damaged new shape beetle for her.
I got it as a non runner due to a immobiliser or electrical fault ?
Well i went and bought a new battery today for it and got stuck in !
I dismantled the stop solenoid/immob unit and ran a live wire straight to the solenoid and the bridged out the starter and she started up first time :D so i knew she ran ok,

The fault seems to be some sort of immobiliser or inhibitor switch or similar, turn the key to ignition the lights come on etc but the stop solenoid doesnt open(click) and turn the key to start and nothing happens?
Ive already cut out the factory alarm/immob,

Any ideas guys all :1zhelp: is much appreciated as its a budget build project till the beetle is done then i can have a mk2 1.8t track toy :beerchug:

Crasher
19-11-2007, 12:09 AM
It must be a post 95 model then. These have an electronically coded immobiliser that is linked to the ECU so a fault code read would be the first step if you want to maintain it. The alarm/immobiliser you have taken out will be a dealer fitted accessory. The immobiliser ECU is above the steering column and has two cables, one going to the ignition barrel reader coil and the other to the fuse box. The engine diagnostic communications are via the immobiliser and they often block communications meaning a new box has to be programmed in or a second hand box and ignition key chip found.

kev 3dr
19-11-2007, 10:11 AM
It must be a post 95 model then. These have an electronically coded immobiliser that is linked to the ECU so a fault code read would be the first step if you want to maintain it. The alarm/immobiliser you have taken out will be a dealer fitted accessory. The immobiliser ECU is above the steering column and has two cables, one going to the ignition barrel reader coil and the other to the fuse box. The engine diagnostic communications are via the immobiliser and they often block communications meaning a new box has to be programmed in or a second hand box and ignition key chip found.

To get it reprogrammed is it main dealer only ?
How easy is a second hand one to swap over and whats involved ?

Kev

Crasher
19-11-2007, 10:55 AM
From a second hand perspective you need to know what part number immobiliser you have and so someone like me or the dealer can work out the part numbers suitable as there are a couple. If you find a scrap car such as a Polo or Golf 3 with the correct immobiliser, all you need is the box and key from which you will need to carefully remove the chip and swap this over into your key. Theoretically you should have the immobiliser box matched to the ECU but I often find this is unnecessary. If you need to match it I recommend a proper registered copy of VAG-COM and as you have at least two cars this would be useful on, in time it will save you money.

kev 3dr
20-11-2007, 08:46 AM
After a chat with a local spark and another mechanic ive done away with the immobiliser and rewired the stop solenoid via a fuse off the fuse board and also rewired the starter too :D and refitted the after market alarm immobiliser and also fitting a central locking kit too :beerchug:

Kev